Taking the Guys to Hermano Pedro Feb. 17

Thor showing Maynor how to video

Today we (Caleb, Thor, Dick, Dave and I) spent the day at Hermano Pedro.  The original purpose of the visit was to film what I am doing here each day.  Fortunately, this did not end up happening too much.

I say fortunately, because instead of filming, Caleb and Thor immediately got caught up with the kids, and spent a good deal of time just loving on them.  Thor even lent his hand to helping adjust some wheelchairs.  Caleb seemed to find his niche in malnutrition.  I can't begin to describe what it did to my heart to watch these two friends from the States fall in love with "my" kids.  They may not have much film to show, but I'll bet you they can describe first-hand why I am here, because they, too, have now fallen in love with our kids.
We even took a few to lunch!

While we were here, I spent my time doing what I usually do here, with a few extra diaper changes thrown in for good measure.  With as much as I've been on the road, I'm cutting the kids a good bit of slack in letting them do their favorite tasks.  Today I was especially pleased to see how much Ervin was willing to work, even in his crib, and how well he cooperated with what I asked him to do.  He's such a big boy that when he doesn't it can be quite the challenge.

The nurses even enjoy some of the new puzzles--
they make animal sounds when the right piece is inserted.
A couple weeks ago, Hope Haven Internation had a wheelchair distribution where a number of our kids got new wheelchairs, and they all received lap TRAYS.  While I know that in the past the kids had received these with their chairs, they would somehow mysteriously disappear almost immediately.  This time was different.  The therapists had stored these in their therapy room, because, they said, they know I would use them!  This was important on so many levels, but expecially shows that they recognize my desire to support the work they are doing with the kdis.  Now it is much easier to work with the kids, as they have a "table" at the correct height and position.  These trays also are very important in helping the kids maintain good posture in their chairs, which increases their overall health.

We still take the kids to lunch when time, money and weather permits.  It's hard to decide who to take, because the verbal kids are always asking to go, and I know some of the non-verbal ones benefit just as much, though in a different way perhaps.  Recently Dick and I had a "discussion" about taking Saul.  In the past, Saul has "freaked out" at Camperos, or at the very least seems just to tolerate it. My opinion was Saul has matured in this area.  What do you think?



Almost all of the kids are back from vacation, and we have a few new or former residents who came back to us.  Brenda, who I spent a lot of time with when I was down here a couple years ago, has returned after being at home with her family for more than a year.  Her mom has a new baby, and could no longer care for Brenda adequately.  She seemed much weaker and skinnier to me, but her smile is still the same.  You can hear the angels sing when she smiles.


Brenda 2009





Brenda 2011
















One of the "new" kids is an "old" friend of mine.  Miguel Angel (Miki) is the little boy I met in Patzun at Christmas time who needed a wheelchair.  We took him one just after the first of the year.  Now, he is living at Hermano Pedro.  While I really love this kid and am overjoyed to be able to work with him, I was somewhat sad that he was moved.  The orphanage where he was living cared for him so well, and the other "normal" kids loved on him and helped him so much, that it was always so uplifting to visit and find a place where "full inclusion" was really working.  Pray that he adapts to the more institutional environment at Hermano Pedro without too much pain.  I do believe it will be difficult for him.


Other kids contine to do well.  Valentina's grandma calls me about once a week so see how she is doing up in malnutrition.  She has adjusted to being in the hospital, but sure does like it when we go up and hold her.  She is so alert and attentive--her eye contact is fantastic for a one month old.



While Valentina seems tiny, her roommate in isolation is even moreso.  This little guy is 5 months old, and about the same size and Valentina, and does not have a cleft palate.  He is just precious, and I can't resist holding him whenever I go in to spend time with her.

There is a new twelve year old in malnutrition, Luisa.  She is "non-reponsive" from all "outside" appearances, and has an extremely contorted body.  But when you look in her eyes, it's heartbreaking.  It's like she's pleading with you to help her get out of the prison which her body has become.  Her gaze is piercing.  I've started spending time by her bed, stroking her hair (I'm actually afraid of hurting her by holding her, she's so contorted), and she usually falls straight to sleep when I do.  I need to spend some time with Dick and the therapists learning what I can do to make her more comfortable.

I know I'll be traveling again soon, and I'm sad to leave the kids once again.  Every time I go on the road, I struggle with being away.  I've been praying through this alot, and still don't seem to have a good answer to whether or not I should be doing these trips.  I do know, however, I have yet to make a trip where I've returned feeling it's been a waste of my time.  I think it boils down to the fact that I like being with the kids more than I do on the road. 





Then, I look at a map of Paul's journeys and wonder why I complain!

No comments:

Post a Comment