Hope Haven Distribution, March 25

Since Dick frequently uses my writing, I thought I'd return the compliment today.  Of course, I'll have to add a few of my own comments!~~Pat

Since we managed to get back home early enough on Thursday to get Jason registered for school and I finally got that much needed shower, I decided to help out at a Hope Haven wheelchair distribution in Antigua on Friday.  (Jason has been back home about a week, and has done quite a bit of traveling with Dick.  He has come back from his "run-away" time in the city closer to God than ever before.  This Monday, he will begin attending a Christian school in Chimaltenango, thanks to the sponsorship of some friends in the States. He's a bit nervous about this, since there are only 3 other students in his class--as compared to the 60 in his class in the public school--so please keep him in your prayers.)





























Pat Duff and Esbin (who had no school??) accompanied me. (to the Hope Haven distribution on Friday.) Esbin and I kept busy fitting kids into wheelchairs while Pat split up her time interpreting for me and making communication booklets for some of the kids. (Esbin has become quite the wheelchair mechanic, and can do quite a bit of the work on his own.)



This little guy loved his communication symbols
The books and sheets I'm using in these distributions are pretty generic to start with, but the kids and moms really seem to like them, and most of the kids have caught on immediately to how to use them to communicate.  This is such a stark contrast to how long it is taking to teach the kids at Hermano Pedro to use these.  Each distribution I come up with new and better ideas as to how to customize sheets for specific kids, and am really enjoying working with the Hope Haven team.  Omar, who "runs" the office, is extremely patient with my moving into his office area on these days, and I love getting to know him.  Thanks, guys, for including me!

Not all the kids who receive chairs are immediately thrilled with them.  It is very different from being carried in your momma's arms, or in a sling on her back.  Most kids, though, with a little encouragement, and some persistence on the part of their parents, soon enjoy the freedom the chair gives them.

Esbin encouraging one not-so-satisfied customer!
He soon adjusted to his chair,
and the toy car didn't hurt, either






















I know that I have written in the past about parents who want nothing to do with a child simply because he or she has some type of disability but over the years we are meeting more and more families that show a lot of love to a disabled child.Today we met a family that not only accepted their little girl who was both physically and mentally disabled but they considered her a gift from God and a real blessing. Papa especially seemed to radiate when ever he was near his precious little girl. Was he praying that she would some day be heeled? Certainly! but whether that would be in this life or once she got to heaven this man and his wife had an unconditional love for their little girl that I have not seen in many parents. They were a real inspiration to all of us.



I did my share of crying as I translated as Dick talked with this Mom and Dad.  I continue to stand in awe of the deep faith and unshakeable confidence families like this one have in the goodness of our Father.  I stand convicted in their presence, remembering all the times I doubt His love for me when faced with challenges.  This family, and many others, face more difficulties than I can even imagine, and yet firmly place their hope in Him.  Thank you, Father, for the living witness of these brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment