Visits from "Homahans"

Norm and Vicki Sutton

Wednesday (Mar. 23) I got to spend the afternoon visiting with two acquaintances from Omaha, who are now serving at an orphanage in San Andrés Sajcabajá.  Norm and Vicki Sutton, from Christ Community Church in Omaha, stopped by for a visit after taking someone to the airport in Guatemala City.  By the time they left a few hours later, I really felt like I had new friends, and colleagues in ministry.

I'm always a bit concerned when I know I'll be entertaining "strangers" as I fear I won't know what to talk with them about.  Both Norm and Vicki are so warm and outgoing that it seemed like I had known them forever.  Our hearts share a common love for the people of Guatemala, and it was a pleasure to hear their story of coming here, as well as being able to share mine with them. It is always astounding to me how God moves His people where He needs them.  It is also a comfort to talk with others who can't always explain His call, except by saying that they "know that they know" they belong here.  The Suttons, like many other friends here as well as myself, felt like they had come "home" the first time they set foot in Guatemala.

Vicki and one of their babies at the home
The Suttons live about 3-4 hours from Antigua, and are working at Hogar De Vida in San Andres.  Norm helps with construction and maintenance, Vicki with administration, and they both serve as "second string" parents to the 30 or so children living in the home. Hearing the stories of their ministry could not but help to encourage me in mine.  All too soon they had to leave to get home before dark, as the last part of their journey, is difficult in broad daylight, but especially dangerous after dark.  I can't wait to visit them again, hopefully at their mission this time!

Then, Thursday, Dane Underwood, also from Omaha, arrived to spend a few weeks working with us here in Guatemala.  Dane is also under the sponsorship of the Josiah Foundation, which serves as my sending organization.  Dane's hope is to visit a number of countries in Central and South America over the next 12 months to work alongside exisiting ministries.  On Saturday, Dane moved into Mari and Leo's house, and will be with them during his time here in Guatemala.

"Borrowed" from Michelle's
Facebook page
Dane is helping me initiate a new phase in my ministry, where folks come down to work with me for varying lengths of time.  Some, like Dane, are independent and responsible for their own activities.  Others, however, are coming specifically to work with us, and we will be more responsible for their well-being while here in Guatemala.  Michelle, a speech therapist from Kentucky, is coming this Friday to work with me and the kids at Hermano Pedro on communication.  Hopefully she will be able to work with the kids at the New Life School in Santa Maria de Jesus also.  Two young ladies from Omaha who are graduating high school this May are also praying about spending some time down here working with us over the next 6 months.

All this is to say, again, my ministry is expanding to include mentoring those who come to serve short term.  While I still feel like a newbie here, I hopefully have gained some wisdom to share with those who come for shorter periods, and I surely have friends who are much more experienced than I to help them on their journey.  While I'm not someone who seems to thrive working with larger teams, the idea of introducing one or two people at a time to what God is doing here in Guatemala excites me greatly.  Pray for these folks who are coming, and pray, too, that we are able to help them discover what God has for them down here!

No comments:

Post a Comment