It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!



It has been a lot of fun having a large house to decorate this Christmas.  It has been a bit of a challenge coming up with decorations for the house without spending a small fortune.  But, as we say here, poco a poco (little by little) things are looking more Christmas-y and less "naked."

I felt that my 4 foot tall skinny tree just would not hack it in a living room with cathedral ceilings.  I really didn't want to spend the money on a larger tree, but figured that by next year funds might be even tighter so decided to bite the bullet.  I had thought about going into Guatemala City to get a tree, but Dick suggested we first look at the trees being sold in the park in Chimaltenango.  So, a couple of weeks ago after church, Dick, I and four of the boys headed up there to see what we could find.

You can see how dinky his tree was last year!
If you know Dick, you know that he HATES shopping.  However, being Dutch, he hates spending money even more--even if it's my money we're spending.  His last Christmas tree was so bad the the boys begged me to give them my old little one. (He didn't think it was much better than his; the boys disagreed vehemently!)  I was pleasantly surprised when he offered to go with me to shop for a tree, and as a bonus he promised to drive me back if I bought a tree.  (I probably could have taken it on the chicken bus, but, what the heck?  He offered).


I have to admit, though, that Dick was a good sport about shopping.  In fact, he even decided to buy a tree himself!  And lights!! And ornaments!!!  And the world did not end. (Oh, wait, that's supposed to be the 21st, isn't it?)  I think this is worth commemorating in pictures, since I'm not sure it will happen again in my lifetime (which may be considerably shorter after Dick reads this!).  Seriously, though, he did a great job and managed to haggle with the guys in the market to get each of us a tree at a pretty reasonable price.  (I found out later that in Antigua the same tree sells for 100 to 200 quetzales more--$13-26.)

I went to the shopping mall in Chimal alone (didn't want to press my luck or stress Dick's heart by taking Dick with me).  The boys went back to Dick's with him and they were so excited that they had the new tree up and decorated before I got to the house an hour later. (I did find ornaments at one of the stores quite a bit cheaper than the ones Dick bought in the market.  I think he might have wished he'd come with me!) I thought I had a picture of his new tree, but can't find it.  Trust me, it's quite an improvement.






Esbin, one of the boys, was staying with me for a few days while working with Mari. The first night he came home feeling so-so since he had been on his feet all day.  He bounced back quickly when I asked if he wanted to help decorate my tree. (I'd set it up all by myself!)  It turned out quite good if you ask me!


I'm enjoying having a mantel this year.  Got to set out a few of the nutcrackers I brought down with me.  (My son, Jeremy, has the dozens of other ones I'd collected over the years.)  More and more this feels like home.


And, of course, there's a Nativity in the middle of the mantel to remind us what this is all about.  Many of the evangelicals here do not put of Nativity scenes as they feel it's "too Catholic."  Not me, boy.  I have three!  I figure that anything that helps me focus on remembering His sacrifice in taking on flesh is well worth it.

I love the stable I bought in the market



I even have an Advent wreath!





 And I decorated three other fresh evergreen wreaths which I found in the market.  How could I resist when the wreaths were only about $1 each?





The cookie baking has begun. (Unfortunately, so has the "tasting."  I see more batches in my future.)  I am in love with how wonderfully my new stove bakes.  Good thing, too, because I got a call from the Children's Director at church today, asking me if I could bake 60 cupcakes for "Jesus' birthday party" with the kids this Sunday.


I have most of my presents bought already.  In fact, I'm pretty proud of myself.  I did almost all my Christmas shopping in the market here in Antigua.  Sorry, no pictures.  The wrapping's not done and I don't want to ruin any surprises!


Wishing you all the 
Merriest of Christmases
and God's richest blessings
in the New Year.


No comments:

Post a Comment