The Lord is my Guardian*--The Twenty-third Psalm from a Guatemalan Perspective

* A "guardian" (pronounced guar-dee-an) here in Guatemala is the man who cares for the house of another--most often for a person who has a substantial amount of money, at least in comparison to those living around us.  He is the protector as he fills his role as the person at the entrance to a gated community who decides who can enter the property and who will be kept out.  He is the caretaker as he maintains the physical property. He also fills the role of nurturer as he cares for the plants and the general atmosphere of the community.  As I sought a relevant Guatemalan reference to parallel that of shepherd in the 23rd Psalm, the Lord brought this familiar image to mind.


The Lord is my Guardian
I trust I will have all I need.



I sleep secure in the place He has provided.
He leads me beside magnificent volcanoes;
He gives me strength, confidence, hope, and peace.



Even though I live in a land overshadowed by great violence
I am not afraid.
You go before me
Walk beside me
And protect my back.
I take comfort in your protection, discipline and guidance.




You lavishly shower me with blessings,
While those who do not know You
Look on and don't understand,
For they cannot see Your Hand.




You have elected me to do this work, in this place;
My heart overflows as my desires are fulfilled through Your love.




I trust that the rest of my life will be filled with your goodness and kindness
For I will abide in your love and your mercy
for the remainder of my time here on earth
and for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment