Celebrating Baptism Guatemala Style



One of the blessings of living in Guatemala is being accepted as family by a number of the families we know.  One that is very special to both Dick and me is the Sirin-Ambrosio family, which includes Cesar, who lived with me last year, and Miguel and Tony, who work for us.  Over the years I have gotten to know the whole family, and Wilma, the only daughter among four brothers is special to me.

This May, Wilma took a big step in her faith walk when she decided to be baptized.  In this particular church, Baptism is viewed as a real privilege, rather than just an act of obedience.  The church's willingness to baptize her indicates that they have seen evidence in her daily life of her decision to follow Christ.  It is a big deal.

This is the first baptism I've attended here, and in typical Guatemala style, it took place not in a sanctuary, but at a water park.  It is a whole day event, including a two hour drive each way to get to the water park.


It seemed the entire church was here, having come in three busloads.  We arrived at about 8 am, and had a social time and breakfast.

Miguel and Cesar with their dad.  It was very special that he was able to join us, since he usually has to work at least one of his two jobs on Sunday.

Then there was a time of worship and preaching. 

Wilma's mom worshiping
We then walked as a group the the site of the baptism. 
It was an incredibly beautiful setting for this special occasion.



 I was expecting it to take place in one of the three swimming pools at the park.  I was very surprised when we came to not one but three baptismal pools built at the park specifically to celebrate this ordinance.


More worship time


And then the baptism took place.  I think there were about ten people baptized this day, including the elderly lady in the front row left above.  (Wilma is the third from the right.)


All the elders of the church, not just the pastor, are part of the baptism.


At one point one of the boys pointed out to Dick and me that we were the only non-Hispanics not only at the baptism, but in the entire water park, as far as we could tell.  They were proud to have us with them, and we were even more proud to be included.  I often forget that, even with a tan, my skin is still many shades lighter than most of those around me.  I think this is a good thing, that I forget.  If not, I blame it on age.



After the service there was plenty of time to enjoy the water park.



















I spent quite a bit of time just hanging out in the shade, resting.




Dick and Cesar managed to take in a futbol (soccer) game, too.













Then, of course it was time for more food before we headed home tired, sunburned, and satisfied.  It was an honor to be included in this special family event.  While these Guatemalan friends can never take the place of my family in the US, being included as part of their family makes it a lot easier to be away from my kids and grandsons.








No comments:

Post a Comment