What I'm doing at New Life



While my main responsibility is directing Reason to Hope in Guatemala, I  continue to partner with New Life School in the Mayan Village of Santa Maria de Jesus, just "up the volcano" from our men's home in San Pedro. This school serves approximately 95 children in grades Pre-K through Sixth who, because of a variety of special needs, cannot receive an adequate education in other private or public schools.


So, what do I do here? Honestly, I think I do a little bit of everything--or a least of everything that no one else can do or has time to do!


In the past, I worked directly with the students, providing more individualized special education services than their classroom teachers were able to provide.  I am overjoyed now to be transitioned from providing direct services to students to a "coaching" role with the teachers.  This enables me to share with them the skills and expertise I have developed over 35+ years as a special education teacher.  They, in turn, can better serve more students than I would be able to reach single-handedly.  I think this is a win for students and a win for the teachers.

Our behavior chart

The most exciting thing I have done this past year was to design and help implement a school-wide behavior management and discipline system.  Through this process we encourage students to make good decisions, reinforce them when they do, and encourage them to problem solve when the do not.   This is an important part of our vision to "develop leaders with integrity" who can then impact their village with Christian principles and faith in Jesus.

One of our students problem solving
to learn to make better choices












I also help with getting children from the school with special medical needs in to see the appropriate doctors.  Often times their families only have recourse to the national healthcare system, which is woefully lacking.  We partner with their families to provide the funds needed to see and, when necessary, receive treatment from private physicians.


I have been privileged to support our school psychologist as she works with our mothers to increase their parenting effectiveness and improve their quality of life as women and as Christ-followers.  This past year I facilitated a trauma healing group with these ladies, using the materials developed by the American Bible Society.  It was amazing to watch as God worked in the hearts of these women to bring them healing and wholeness as they came to better know the Father who loves them in their struggles and wants only the best for them.



When wheelchairs or other mobility devices are required, I can serve as a go-between for families with ministries such as Hope Haven International to provide just the right equipment for each child.
Finally, with Judy Kerschner's move to Houston, I have become, since I am the only driver, the official "go-for" when food and other supplies are needed at the school.
So, with all the other things I have on my plate with running Reason to Hope, why do I choose to continue working with another ministry?  How can I say "no," to such sweet smiles!










No comments:

Post a Comment