Hope Haven, Again April 15

Again, I’m borrowing from Dick, since he beat me to it writing about today.

My past 2 days have been spent over at Hope Haven's wheelchair Factory in Antigua. About 30 kids have been invited in to Hope Haven's factory to receive new wheelchairs. This has been made possible due to a grant from an agency that is headed up by the wife of the president of Guatemala. I think that there is quite a bit of paper work involved but it is well worth it for those that receive a new wheelchair. Not all but most of the wheelchairs that are given out at these distributions are ones that were built in their factory that is in Antigua. You can imagine the delight when the Factory workers who are themselves in wheelchairs get the opportunity to fit some one into a wheelchair that they them selves took part in building.

IMG_0649

Jennifer in her new wheelchair, with Gustavo (holding her communication book), one of the Hope Haven staff, and Jose, a volunteer.

Pat writes~~I was able to give a number of communication systems out today.  Each distribution I am learning to be more efficient both in my assessment and construction of the systems.  While I’d love to come up with some “standard” books to give out, I am learning that there probably will need to be a few different types of “standard” books created to meet the varying needs of the kids we see. 

IMG_0647

Some kids can point, some can only indicate their choice with eye gaze.  Some can see and understand small line drawings, some only larger ones, while some need actual photos to identify what they are trying to communicate. I struggle with knowing when I am being competent in my desire for individualization and when I am being a perfectionist.  I do believe, though, that each child deserves as much attention to his/her communication needs as they do to the wheelchairs.  Only problem is, there’s only one of me to go around.

Seeing the reactions of the kids and parents who receive these booklets of line drawings to use in communicating, every bit of effort I put into the books is more than worth it!

A few nights ago the mother of the children pictured above came to my door asking me how one of her 7 year old twin sons could get a walker and how the other could get a wheelchair. After walking over to their home and seeing the entire family gathered on their one and only bed I decided that I would do my best to see to it that at least this one need was met in as sort of time as possible. Today mom and little Manuel rode along with Jason and me to Hope Haven's wheelchair distribution and Tonight Manuel has a new wheelchair. Since Manuel was not on the list of people that were to receive wheelchairs I am praying that we can find some one that is willing to sponsor the chair that has already been given to him. Bethel Ministries whom I work with as well is also in need of wheelchair sponsors.

No comments:

Post a Comment