Week of May 16, 2011

IMG_0435

Well, I guess I’ll break my resolution and journal a bit about Dick’s surgery, since he’s been writing some about it. Also, I keep getting emails asking me how he is, so I figure writing one entry should answer a lot of people’s questions. A couple weeks ago it was decided that he needed prostate surgery, and Monday, May 16 was the day.

While I’ve spent many hours sitting with folks in hospitals during my “previous life” working in care ministry, this really was different.  For one thing, I was his interpreter.  Luckily, his surgeon and the anesthesiologist both spoke some English, so that helped.  But none of the nurses spoke English, and I was a bit surprised at how responsible I felt for making sure he was well cared for.  I can’t imagine what it would be like to be in a hospital and not feel fully able to advocate for myself.

The surgery went well, but the recovery in the hospital and a home have been a bit rough.  When the spinal was wearing off, Dick began to shiver so violently that I was worried he’d shake himself out of bed.   (Sorry, no pictures!!!) The doctors assured us this was only a “normal” side-effect of the anesthesia, but it sure didn’t feel normal while he was going through it.  After this passed, he was drenched in sweat and babbling in Spanish, if you can believe it.  For a short time I was really worried that he’d had a stroke—and had lost his ability to speak English.  I was relieved when I told him I didn’t understand what he wanted, and he finally replied in English, “I know you don’t understand, but I’m making perfect sense!”  Now that’s the Dick we know and love!

DSCF5331_thumb1  After a few days of severe leg
  pain, and frequent calls to the
  doctors, and even more
  medication changes, Dick went
  home to recover at the home of  
  Daryl and Wanda Fulp in San
  Antonio Aguas Calientes.  They
  have a wonderful home in a
  quiet village, and plenty of kids
  to help care for Dick.  He continues to stay with them, as he is slowly regaining strength and energy. 

IMG_0688_thumb[1]The Fulp Family
Raising 10 kids has been a good preparation for Daryl and Wanda as they care for Dick!

DSCF6451_thumbThe biggest challenge is keeping him from going stir-crazy.  I think the kids are helping with that, though, and they really enjoy the attention they are getting from their Uncle Dick.  I think it’s good, too, for him to be part of a family for which he’s not responsible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment