Mother’s Day (May 10, 2011)

IMG_0062

Here in Guatemala, Mother’s Day is celebrated on May 10, no matter what day of the week it is.  Women with children are allowed a day off from work to celebrate (though most do not get paid if they don’t work.) The celebration takes on a little different flavor, here, too, in that women together celebrate the day, rather than expecting their children to create a celebration for them. 

(Most children do, however, and the children in the Hernandez family hosted a “refaccion” (tea) for us on the following Sunday.  The entire family came it for this!)

So, Tuesday morning, I set out with Mari, Maria (her daughter-in-law) and a friend of hers, whose name for the life of me I can’t remember, and her daughter.  Mari loves a very fancy restaurant up on one of the volcanoes near Antigua, so we headed up there for breakfast.

IMG_0063

I have to admit that as much as I love Mari and Maria, the high point of my morning was spending time with Mari’s friend’s four year old daughter, whose name I also can’t remember!  While we waited more than an hour for a table (this is a very popular place), the little one and I walked and talked and played and took pictures and had a wonderful time.  I haven’t decided, yet, if this made me miss my grandsons more, or lessened some of my homesickness for them.  Probably a bit of both.

IMG_0058  What surprised me most, though, was
  how surprised the other women were
  that I wanted to spend time with the
  little girl.  I am seeing more and more
  that Guatemalans, while they love their
  children dearly, have very different
  relationships with them.  They may
  play with them, though rarely, and
  almost never carry on conversations
  with younger children.  I think this is
  what this little one was thriving on—
  someone talking with her, and
  following her lead as to where she
  wanted to go and what she wanted to
  do.  And I have to admit, I thrived on 
  having her undivided attention, too!

IMG_2036

 

  And, as I prayed this evening, I  
  couldn’t help but pray for all the
  mothers I know here in this country
  who are struggling on their own to
  scrape out a subsistence living for
  their children.  (At left, Beatriz,
  putting her daughter Luisa into her
  wheelchair for the first time.)

 

 

IMG_2590

I think of the mothers who must leave their disabled children at Hermano Pedro because they cannot care for them.  (At right, Saundra, a single mother who must work each day to support her family, and her daughter Jessica, on the day she was admitted to Hermano Pedro.)

 

I can’t forget the women who must leave their children in the malnutrition ward here at Hermano Pedro, often while they are just newborn.  I remember the pain of the 7 weeks my own daughter spent in the hospital because she was born prematurely and pray Jesus will soothe their hearts which ache to just hold their child.

IMG_1214

 

 

 

 

 


(Virginia visiting her daughter Jessica in
the malnutrition project at Hermano Pedro.
To see more of her story, click here.)

IMG_9023

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(Week old Valentina, in the arms of
her grandma, before admittance to
Hermano Pedro. To read her story
click here.)

rony on gurney w mom  Lastly, today I grieve
  with those mothers who
  have lost children this
  past year, due to
  disease, disability, or
  simply to lack of food or
  adequate medical care.

  (At left, Rony and his
  mother at the National
  Hospital, a few months
  before his death last
  February.)

As one young Guatemala girl (actually, it was Rony’s sister, Jessica) said to me a few years ago, “The life of a mother in Guatemala is not easy.”  Writing this, I could almost feel overwhelmed at the suffering of these women.  And then God brings me back to my prayer for this year—to love the one person before me at any time.  And I praise Him for allowing me the privilege of bearing these women’s burdens with them, and pray for the next woman He will bring to me. 

Please join me in this prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment