Visit to David’s & Jessica’s family (May 11, 2011)

Today Dick, Daryl, Daryl’s in-laws Chester and Ruth, and I set to visit a few families in the Patulul area.

Our first stop was at David’s home.  (Sorry, not pictures this time.  Maybe I can get some from Dick and post them later.)  David is a twenty-something year old young man who is finishing his bachelor’s degree in computers.  David is also in a wheelchair, and has been fighting bed sores for more than the past year.  He was to have surgery a few weeks ago at Hermano Pedro, but it was postponed because there were complications with another operation his surgeon was doing.  Now it seems his mother has managed to get the sore greatly reduced in size, and he’s hoping he can wait for surgery until after he graduates in November. 

His mother, Guadalupe, is another of those remarkable women I’ve met here in Guatemala, who, in addition to caring for her own family, has a heart of compassion for those around her.  Today she introduced us to a forty-five year old man and his parents.  He has been unable to walk since he was five years old, and a while ago, David’s mother gifted him with David’s old wheelchair, and he’s thoroughly enjoying his new mobility—even though there is not rubber left on his wheels.

So today we went to measure him for a new chair.  Good thing, too, as this is one of the tallest men, with the longest legs, that I have yet met in Guatemala.  A proper size chair will do a world of good for his health.  So, we hope to return in the near future with a donated chair (someone has already given the needed funds through Hope for Home Ministries) and get him properly seated.

The walk to his house and back gave me ample time to visit with Guadalupe, and it was such a pleasure to walk through her village arm-in-arm with her.  It is amazing to me how quickly these women become not just acquaintances, but friends.  My life is so much richer because of the impact they have on me.

IMG_0075

Virginia’s daughter, Blanca, next to the tank

As clouds rolled in we decided we better leave before the rain started (we had to cross through a river) and get on to visit Virginia, Jessica’s mother.  (Jessica is in malnutrition at Hermano Pedro.)  A couple weeks ago, while I was in the States, Daryl and Dick put up a water tank for her (they only get water one hour a day) and they were anxious to see if it was working.

IMG_0078

Always excited to see us, the welcomed us all with open arms.  Virginia had not received the current month’s food support yet, and so she pretty much had nothing to feed her children.  Daryl had just so happened  to take with us some food concentrate meal in a bag, and we were able to give them enough to sustain them until the money for food arrived in their account.  Godincident?  I think so.

 

We could not stay long, however, as the rains had held off enough for us to make the steep climb on what might be called a dirt road (path, trail) up to their house.  We had no desire to try it on slippery mud however.

As we were leaving, Virginia pulled me aside and handed me two homemade gifts her children had given her for Mother’s Day.  She wanted to share them with Ruth and me.  It was amazing to see not only her generosity, but the willingness of her children, who had made the gifts, to share them with us.  I did manage not to take the basket she offered me which had been made by her youngest son.  I could see in his eyes how much he wanted his mom to have it, so asked them to “guard” if for me, and to remember me when they see it.

IMG_0088

Irma holding the gift she’d made her mom for Mother’s Day

As we drove back, Dick, Daryl, and I reflected on the day.  We had felt somewhat guilty that we were taking a “day-off” just to show his in-laws the backcountry.  We should have known better.  I’m learning that gestures of friendship are ministry in this land.  I’m also seeing more frequently, that as we “hang out” with those we already know, God continues to bring us those we have not yet met who are in need.  He takes us to just the right place at just the right time. . .and I love going along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment