Fidel Moves in

I have been waiting almost a year to be able to write this sentence:

As of August 28, 2013, Casa de Esperanza has received it's first permanent resident with the arrival of Panfilo Fidel Hernández Alvarez.

This completes a process that began last November when Fidel made the decision he would like to live with us.  It has taken a lot of talking, waiting, planning and perseverance, but the legal documents have been signed and Casa de Esperanza is now Fidel's forever home.

Miguel and Fernando getting Fidel ready to go as Dick looks on
As we were preparing to leave to go to Hermano Pedro to sign the paperwork, the sky suddenly clouded over, and it began to pour.  For most Guatemalans this is not a problem, but it sure is if you drive a power wheelchair that can short out if it gets wet.  I called over to the office to see if we could sign the papers the next day, but was told it had to be this day because that's what the papers were dated.  So on to Plan B.

Dick happened to be in Antigua, though, and came to the rescue by driving us over there.

The boys loading Fidel into the car--not an easy task


It's not easy on Fidel, either, to travel by car

You can see a little bit here of how flooded the streets were--
a power chair would never have made it through
Dick waited in the car with Fidel as I went in to sign my part of the agreement.  In what I understand is typical Guatemalan legal process, they had to read the entire document to me aloud to make sure I understood what I was signing.  Of course, I probably would have understood better reading it, and finally began reading over the shoulder of the social worker who was helping me.

Since we didn't have Fidel's chair with us, we went out to the car and stood in the rain as he "signed" the papers with the print of his big toe.  (He can sign his name, but, with the close quarters of the car, I didn't say anything.)  And I wondered why we had to drag him out in a storm to only to press his big toe on the paper.   Would anyone know the difference if we had used my big toe?

And it's a done deal!  Fidel is legally part of our household.


Back at home Fidel doesn't look any too bothered by the process


11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.~~Jer. 29:11

Now let the future begin. . .




No comments:

Post a Comment