Summer Time Teams--Xavier University





One of the groups from whom I learned the most this summer was a group of Occupational Therapists and students from Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio.  Since I have been teaching in a room which used to be used for occupational therapy at New Life School, I had much equipment available for my use.  My knowledge of how to use these things for more than play, though, has been quite limited.  I'm a bit more knowledgable now that these folks have shared with me some of the "secrets" of OT Land.

Diane accompanying Josef and his mom down in the elevator.
One of the unique aspects of this team is that all of the students who wish to come on this trip as part of their required service learning hours must take a course in fundamental Spanish and Latin American culture, taught by Diane, a Spanish professor at Xavier.  You could see the difference this makes in the comfort level of the group, and in their desire to communicate directly with the kids.  Diane accompanies them on the trip down, to help with translation, and she generously shared lots of her ideas for teaching young children using literature from her experience in the Montessori school on the Xavier campus!  

Johana obviously likes the swing.  Now I know how to use it to help her pay attention and focus better.

The team showed me how to use the different types of swings in conjunction with pre-academic and academic instruction. 

Ann, one of the instructors, also showed me how lying on one's stomach can help focus attention and provide "grounding" for a student while trying to learn new material.   (Now if I can just get up off the floor!)

Juan Carlos, one of our greatest challenges academically, really benefited from using the spinning table.  It's so much more than just a "Sit-n-Spin."

And no room is complete without the therapy ball!

What a great group.  Thanks for teaching this old teacher some new tricks.  Can't wait till you come back next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment