February 3, 2009

Early this morning I met our friends at Hermano Pedro. The Perez family was in the pediatric clinic upstairs, while Silsa and her mom were waiting to see the doctor downstairs. I found myself somewhat uncertain of the rules and procedures of the clinics, and I can only imagine how lost these folks felt. There was no doubt in my mind that I would spend the day learning how to navigate the clinic system here. I was so glad when Dick appeared, and I could ask all my “stupid” questions without fear of being made fun of. (Well, this is sort of true. At least no one else would understand him making fun of me because he only can do it in English!)



As I sat with Lisvi’s family upstairs, I realized that these people had become my friends. I naturally became part of the rotation of holding Lisvi, and was grateful for how comfortable the family had become with me. Their patience during this long wait, never becoming the least bit irritable, was amazing.

While we were waiting for the doctor, Dick called me from the clinic downstairs. Silsa needed to go to a hospital on the other side of town, and I would accompany her and her mom. So we loaded, once again, into Dick’s car and went to the “other” Hermano Pedro Hospital. This one seems to be more designed for acute care. Silsa needed a CAT scan, and I was pleasantly surprised at how modern the equipment was, and how professional and competent the staff members were. Again, though, the wait was agonizingly long, though neither Silsa nor Sylvestra complained. This gave me a chance to visit with and get to know this family, so it was time well spent. After about two and a half hours, Dick returned and we went back to the “first” Hermano Pedro. We would return after lunch to pick up the test results.


While we had been gone, Lisvi had seen the doctor. He had been willing to admit her to the malnutrition ward, but, as we had expected, her parents could not bear to part with her. They took a quick tour of the malnutrition ward with Dick, but were resolute in their desire to take their little one home. They did, however, receive nutritional counseling and supplements which may help her gain some weight. How long she will live is in God’s hands alone, but, as Dick reminded me, she is well loved, and that may be what she needs the most.



After this intensely emotional morning, we decided we needed a break and would take some of the kids to Pollo Campero. Ben and Andy joined us so we set off with Moises, Elmer, Minor and David. This was just the therapy we needed! The kids love to go out, they love to eat even more, and their joy in this excursion lifted our spirits. I didn’t even become discouraged when Elmer started to tantrum on me when it was time to go. It was a bigger challenge, however, to keep my cool at Dick and Carlos taunting me about not being able to “keep that kid quiet.” Once again, the children I can handle, it’s the ADULTS who challenge my patience!

After retrieving Silsa’s test results, we discovered that the doctor she needed to see was in the clinic only until noon. She would have to return tomorrow. With this news, it was decided that tomorrow Dick would once again travel north with both families, so they would not have to tackle a “chicken bus” with Lisvi and Silsa. I would stay in Antigua and spend more time with the kids at Hermano Pedro and other friends in the area.

I was more than a little discouraged at the thought of Lisvi returning home, but really did understand her parents’ refusal to leave her. Would I leave my child in an strange hospital, with people I didn’t know, and travel to my home 8 hours away? Not on your life. And at least we knew these good people would do everything they could to keep Lisvi alive. What more could we ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment