February 5, 2009



Since this was to be my last full day in Guatemala, I decided to allow myself to play “tourist” for part of the morning. It was “market day” in Antigua, and I took the opportunity to “comparison shop” for items I knew I would need to purchase when I move down. As much as I hate shopping in the States, and even avoid the “tourist market” in Antigua, I have to admit I love the activity of market day in the municipal market. These are mostly open air stalls, with everything from flowers, to peppers, to pots and pans, to towels. No organization, no rhyme or reason to where things are located, so just walking through it is an adventure. I was so proud, too, that I have been here often enough now that for the first time I did not get lost among the twists and turns among stands that all pretty much look the same. I did break down and buy myself a new wallet, and a “cup and ball” game for my grandson.
Mostly I just walked and looked and soaked up the atmosphere. Many of the stands sell food, and the smell of “barbeque” filled the market. I managed to control myself and not eat any of the “street food” Mari had warned me about.

When I’d had my fill of shopping, I headed to Hermano Pedro. As I entered the courtyard Moises and Sonya called out from the therapy room and hollered “Paty”. It felt so good to be recognized. As I write this, I realize that it’s the same for these kids. They sit, day after day, waiting for someone to recognize them, acknowledge their value, call them by name. We who have so much freedom and so many friends take this for granted. For the children and adults in this orphanage, love and attention is the greatest gift we can bring.

I hunted through the dormitory to find Lionel. For some reason, they seem to keep moving his bed to a different place each day. He still was a bit congested, but again, I was allowed to take him outside. We were immediately joined by Moises, who seems to have “adopted” Lionel since he moved downstairs. The small smiles I got from Lionel were nothing compared to his belly laughs when Moi played with him. The tenderness Moi shows for this little one is beautiful. He has his own ministry here, looking out for and welcoming the new kids.

Though it was still morning, it seems a lot of the kids were already back in their beds (assuming they had ever gotten out of them in the first place). After playing with and feeding Lionel, I made the rounds of the beds to visit each of the kids. I wished I could have taken each of them out for a while, but knew if I did I would not get to say good-bye to all of them. I decided a little attention for each would trump a bit of freedom for a few today. Again, I was surprised that a number of them knew my name, and many seemed to recognize me. Again, I realized the value of just being with the kids, loving on them, showing them they are important. I’d like to think that I’d done something for them, but in reality, they have given me much more than I could ever give them. They have made me a better person by becoming part of my life.


After helping feed a number of kids supper, it was time for me to head home for my last night with the Hernandez family. I wasn’t prepared for the tears that began to flow as I walked away from the area housing the children. I can’t imagine what the people in the halls thought of this crazy “gringa” crying her eyes out, but I really didn’t care. Each tear confirmed for me that I really do belong here.

No comments:

Post a Comment