February 6, 2009


This morning as I was finishing packing, Mari came in to visit. She is so sweet and always apologizes for bothering me. Usually she brings a treat with her. Today it was a chocolate truffle. Yes, food surely is a large part of life down here. Mari was going shopping and wanted to make sure I didn’t need anything before she left. We would leave for the airport in Guatemala City about 11 am. She also brought another gift, a beautiful gold scrolled bracelet. It appeared to be older and I wondered if it was a gift given her by Leo. I cried for the last time this trip when she explained to me that this had belonged to her grandmother. She wanted me to have it because she really has no family left, and said I was the closest thing she had to a sister. I don’t know if anyone has ever said anything to me that has touched my heart more.

A short time later, Mari returned with more gifts. . .chocolate discs used to make hot chocolate, and boxes of “pan dulce,” the sweet bread I like so much. It was quite a trick to pack all this into my already full suitcases. Why is it clothes don’t go home as cooperatively as they come on vacation? All too soon, I was ready, and it was time to go. The drive to the city was more subdued than most of our conversations. Neither of us wanted to part, but we both knew I would return. The time in between was what we discussed. Of all the drivers I’ve ridden with in Guatemala, Mari was by far the most cautious. I still haven’t figured out if that is good or bad!

After receiving numerous warnings from Mari that I would watch my purse, and promising her I would get something to eat in the airport, I was off. For the first time in 10 days, I was once again really on my own. Though the airport was quite busy, I checked in without problems and soon was comfortably seated on the plane which would take me back to the States. The under-booked flight gave me plenty of room to stretch out and time to reflect as I headed back to Chicago to spend the evening with my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment