February 2, 2009

I woke up this morning feeling a bit under the weather, so Dick and Fernando went to pick up the other family we would be taking to Antigua, and let me sleep in. This also gave the Perezes time to just hang around at the hotel, rather than spending two more hours in the car.

Fernando took some pictures for me when they picked up Silsa and her mother Sylvestra. Silsa is a beautiful, shy young lady of 13 who, about six months ago, lost the strength in her legs. She also began having severe seizures. She would be coming with us to find out if the doctors at Hermano Pedro could figure out what is wrong with her, and give medication to control the seizures. Her family has already spent all their money on local “doctors” who have not helped Silsa, and now refuse to see her because the money has run out.

So, eight of us piled in the Land Cruiser and headed back to Antigua. And, after some of the roads we’ve been on the last few days, the traveling seemed easy. We even stopped for dinner at a “steak house” near Tecpan. I was so excited, because I actually recognized this as a place we’d eaten on my last trip to Guatemala. This stop broke up the trip nicely.






When we arrived in Antigua, we went straight to Hermano Pedro to sign in the girls to see the doctors in the morning. Dick was also able to get accommodations for the two families at Casa de Fe, where they could spend the night free of charge. This hostel was full of people who would be seen at the various clinics the next morning. After dropping the families off, we then attempted to drive to the home where I was staying. Since I walk, and do not pay attention to one way streets, this was somewhat of a challenge. Fernando, once again, came to the rescue and navigated us directly to my door. After all I’d experienced the last five days, I was ready for some solitude and a good night’s rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment