The Daily Routine


At home in Antigua
A normal day here begins with breakfast around 7 am. For those of you who are worried about my nutritional needs, you should know I eat better and healthier here than I ever did in the States. Breakfast always includes fruit and bread Most days there are eggs (scrambled or in an omelette), or pancakes (the lightest and tastiest I've ever eaten) or Avena (an oatmeal "soup" much richer and more flavorful than any oatmeal I've eaten at home).

The morning
When I'm home here in Antigua, I usually spend some time with Jesus after breakfast, and then check my email and sometimes Facebook. I have to admit that I enjoy keeping up with what everyone is doing back in the States.

After getting dressed, I head over to Hermano Pedro, usually walking the 10 blocks to get there. (If it's raining I'll indulge in riding a tuk-tuk.)

I bring with activities that I hope to do with certain children each day, but these are quickly put aside if a more "urgent" need appears. Usually, this is one of the kids who seems particularly sad or lonely that morning. In this case we sit and talk, and, if they are small enough for me to carry, we also rock. This is one of the things that can make me feel a little guilty. Did I really come all the way to Guatemala just to sit in a chair and rock a child? My blog entry about Patita gave me a clear answer to this questions.

Activities with the kids
I've discovered that an even greater need than communications systems is finding ways for many of the kids to do more than vegetate in their beds or wheelchairs. Hermano Pedro is designed to give custodial care to the kids, and they do this quite well. Few kids, however, receive any kind of schooling--most who do are taught by Ninette, the Bethel Ministries teacher at the orphanage.

So the "non-academic" types and I do "chores" together. Stacking cups, sorting silverware, matching socks, etc. seem to be great fun for many of the kids. While not "real" work yet, I look forward to the day some of the kids will bein to help the nurses with folding laundry!

Lunch and Siesta
Most days I help with feeding lunch to the kids. This is one of my favorite parts of the day. As I've come to understand how "therapeutic" meals at Mari's are because we take time to visit while we eat, I try to do this with the kids as I feed them. I have to admit that it can be challenging to find things to talk about with a non-verbal child who takes 20 minutes to eat a bowl of pureed food. A few days ago, I was "inspired" to start telling Bible stories to the kids at this time. Its fun to see how engaged they become, and even more fun to see some of the nurses and volunteers "eavesdropping" on what I am saying.

About 1 pm the kids are put to bed for a while, and I return home for my lunch (the main meal of the day). I often take a little time to "recharge" and return to the orphanage between 2 and 3 in the afternoon. When I first came the kids were usually gotten up around 2, now it seems the time has consistently been creeping later and later. If find, usually, if I ask the charge nurse if I can take one or two kids out and put them in their wheelchairs, I am given permission. This is a good time for me to work one-on-one with some of the kids.

I hate the fact that the kids seem to remain in their beds longer and longer each day. I can somewhat understand the reasoning of the nurses. It takes so long to get the kids cleaned up from lunch, changed, and into their beds from their wheelchairs, that it feels like you no sooner put the kids to bed than you are taking them out. At least now, though, the kids are just about all put in their chairs for at least a portion of the afternoon.

The Afternoon
This time of year there seem to be a lot of volunteers both in the morning and in the afternoons. Some come for a single day, but others are here for a week or more. I’m trying to invest some of my time in helping those who are here for a while understand the needs of the kids, and find things to do with them. This isn’t as much fun for me as working directly with a child, but, I can either work with one child, or help five volunteers give effective attention to five (or more) children. This part of my “job” was not expected, but I think is important. Often now the nurses will also use me to interpret as they explain something to one or more of the volunteers. I try to find time each afternoon to spend an extended period of time with at least one of the kids, though. It’s good for them and even better for me!

At about 4 pm, we begin feeding supper, and changing the kids for bed. Do I change diapers? Yes. I think if any one thing has earned me the respect of the nurses, it’s my willingness to help with this task. Is it my “job” as a volunteer? No. Is it “ministry” to the kids? Beyond a shadow of a doubt. I feel this is my special way of “washing the feet” not only of the kids, but of the nurses. If I ever begin to think I am too good or too important to do this simple act of caring, I’ll know it’s time for me to find something else to do.

Returning home for the evening
I often walk home from the orphanage, usually about 5 o’clock. If I have any shopping to do, I do it on the way. Though I’m usually tired from the day, I find this walk a good time to talk over my day with Jesus. It’s also enjoyable to be part of all the other people who are going home at this time of day.

Whenever I walk into the house in the afternoon, I can be assured of Mari coming to me, asking, “Cafecito?” This is the time we drink coffee and just talk about anything and everything. Many times we are joined by one of Mari’s many friends, and I am enjoying getting to know folks in this informal way.

Supper is between 6:30 and 7:00. This is usually a vegetarian meal, though if I have missed the larger noon meal, I’m given the “leftovers” from lunch to eat. We eat with the students, and this is a very enjoyable time, as I mostly get to listen to the stories of their day and their studies.

After dinner, the rest of the evening is my own—to journal, read, pray, study (yes, I try to study a little Spanish grammar and vocabulary each day), listen to music, Facebook, or really do whatever I want. Television is available, even some channels where the program is in English and subtitled in Spanish, but I seldom watch it. I’m finding I’m staying up way too late in the evening, and am trying to develop some kind of discipline in going to sleep at a reasonable hour. I know I’m sleeping much less here than I did in the States, but also find I never want for energy when I need it. This yet to be a day when I’ve gone to bed not looking forward to the day to come. Thanks be to God for giving me this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment