A Long Distance Wedding (July 17)

Today, through the marvel of the Internet, I was able to "attend" a wedding in Omaha.  Mykaila Toole became Mrs. Jonathan Norton today.  I have known both of these young people for a number of years, and was sad to miss their wedding.  Found out last week that it would be webcast, and I was able to tune in and watch it.  I told Kelly, Mykaila's mom, that I think I actually had the best seat in the house.  And I know I cried more than I would have if I'd been there in person!  An added plus was that as the camera "panned" the crowd, I got to see many familiar faces in the congregation.  And I have to admit, Greg Teal (the pastor who officiated) looks awfully good in a tux!

One of the most touching parts of this ceremony was when the bride and groom washed each other's feet, as a symbol of their desire to serve each other.  I've never seen that done before, but what a perfect metaphor for what I know the desire of these two is--to serve each other and together serve God's people.  I wonder what would happen to the marriages in a church if there was a foot washing service in which couple were asked to perform this simple act of love and service for each other.  Would hearts be changed?

Just for fun I tried to take some pictures off my computer screen.  Some of them didn't turn out half bad!
































    God bless you, Mykaila and Jonathan, and give you many years of joy together.

No comments:

Post a Comment