Hanging Out with Bayron and Edgar (July 10, 2010)


All too soon we had to leave, and were on our way back to the hotel. After a quick clean-up, we went to pick up Bayron and his younger brother Edgar, who we had promised yesterday could come and stay with us at the hotel tonight. As the car approached their home (driving through the corn field), Edgar heard us coming and ran out to meet us, jumping up and down just like a monkey. When we entered the house, Grandmother told us that the boys had been waiting for us since about 10 this morning.

We had an early supper at Pollo Campero, complete with toy cars from the kids’ meal, and ice cream for dessert. Bayron had been here before with Dick and me, but this was a first for Edgar. In fact, Edgar told us this was his first time riding in a car, though he had been in chicken buses.



We came back to the hotel, and though the boys were a bit disappointed that they could not swim because the weather wasn’t cooperating, they seemed to satisfy themselves with TV, playing with our cameras, and playing games on Dick’s computer. The evening is ending with the boys “swimming” in Dick’s bathtub as I write this.
I don’t know that I’ve ever met two more polite and delightful boys of ten and eight. Watching them together is amazing. Though Bayron cannot talk at all, he makes himself understood almost completely. Edgar and he have developed their own sign language which Edgar uses to explain things to Bayron. It makes no sense to the rest of us, but they get it, and I suppose that’s all that counts. I know they have stolen a place in Melissa and Ryan’s hearts, as well as Dick’s and mine. I know I keep saying that a different child is my “favorite” almost every time I write, but they really are. Each of them is my “favorite” in a different way, and each of them touch my life and change my heart in a way that is uniquely theirs. When it comes to teaching me what it means to be “resilient,” Bayron and Edgar take the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment