Wheelchair Distribution in Oratoria (July 10, 2010)

Wheelchair Distribution

Today we got to tag along with Bethel Ministries for a wheelchair distribution in Oratorio. No one was quite sure what to expect today, as there were 80 people signed up, and the distribution was being held in the home of the local mayor. We were pleased to find out that we were using his outdoor area, which was large and covered, so we had shade, as well as the folks coming for chairs.

I got to work with Donna Mooney doing the registration and sign out. When people arrive, they are assigned numbers, and some distinction is made between those who will need special chairs and those who can use regular chairs with slight adjustment. After getting their number, these people wait, and wait, and wait for their turn to receive a wheelchair. Literally hours sometimes. I have been impressed that in every distribution I’ve been on, people are calm and patient, with little grumbling or complaining. Dick reminds me that many of these people have been waiting years for a wheelchair, so what’s a couple more hours.

When a person’s number is called, they go to an assigned station and receive a chair, which is then adjusted to as perfect a fit for the individual as possible. Limits are imposed by the chairs and parts available, but it is amazing what the Bethel folks are able to accomplish with what’s at hand. I jokingly call some of these “MacGuyver chairs” since they are adapted with whatever is available.

Today there were 5 stations—2 for special chairs, manned by Dick, Katherine, and Melissa, and one manned by Saul. Regular chairs were distributed by Ryan, Kris, and Leslie on one team, George and Jackson on another, and Jorge taking up the third position. Of the team, only Katherine had seated anyone before. After Dick did a quick training, they were ready and willing and did a great job. Ryan even got to fit a specialty chair under Dick’s supervision. I’m not sure the exact numbers, but I think we gave out about 60 numbers, and only had one chair left at the end of the distribution.

Local pastors counseled and prayed with each family after they had received a wheelchair, and each family was given a Bible. This, in some ways, was the most meaningful part of the day for me. It was amazing watching these men of God as they shared their hearts with the fellow Guatemalans.



The last stop was once again with Donna, as she took data on each chair that was given out, and we took pictures (for Bethel’s records) of each person who had received a chair. This was my major job today. I’m sure Donna could have gotten along without me, but now I know the data that needs to be collected whenever we give out a chair and I appreciated her letting me “shadow” her.

No comments:

Post a Comment