An Ordinary Day


Today, Friday, was a pretty ordinary day.  Started out answering emails and doing paperwork in the "garden" of my home.  Bright sunshine, cool breeze, a good cup of coffee.  I'm really getting spoiled down here.  In some ways I'm learning to work hard without pressure (if that makes any sense). 

Went to Hermano Pedro about 10 am and spent time playing with the kids.  Bobby, who I wrote about the other day is much better, but now Jojo (picture at top) has a horrible congestion in his chest.  Today I held him while he had a breathing treatment, which he absolutely hates.  I can't imagine what it would be like to just have to lie in bed alone and experience this.  Hopefully, holding him made it a bit easier for him to handle.  Couldn't help missing my grandson, Zach, a bit while I was doing this.  Zach needed LOTS of breathing treatments when he was little, and didn't like them any more than Jojo does.

Went to lunch with a mission team from Seattle that has been down working with Bethel.  Today was there last day and they were spending it with the kids.  It was a youth group and their sponsors, and I'd met one of their leaders about a year ago down here.  We had some interesting discussions about short term mission teams, and then went back to Hermano Pedro.  The kids on this team were a bit hesitant at first (I think they were afraid the kids would break--understandable since the look so fragile), but after a while dove right in. 

I wasn't with the team too long, though, because Ninette (Bethel's teacher at Hermano Pedro) asked me to help Moisis with his homework from his English class. Moi is one of only two kids at the orphanage who attend school in the community.  In the afternoon, Ninette helps him and Sonya with their homework, after teaching her regular morning class of the orphanage kids.  Ninette  does not speak English, however, and was very happy to have someone who could help with this part of Moi's work.  It also gave us a time to visit and get better acquainted.  Ninette has no special ed training, but does an amazing joy with the kids, and I hope I can support her.  She's a natural with the kids, and the love her as well as learn from her.

Tonight promises to be a quiet night at home.  I might even read some for fun!  Each night I seem to be going to bed unable to keep my eyes open, but excited for the coming day.

No comments:

Post a Comment