August 26, 2010

New Life School in Santa Maria de Jesus

I started out my morning going out to breakfast with a new friend, Judy Kerschner, who has started New Life School in Santa Maria de Jesus for special needs students and others who just don't "fit" in the public schools here.  During our three hour breakfast, we talked about everything and anything, and I feel like I've known her for years.  Judy has been here since 2000 (I think) and has many connections both in the educational community here as well as with the missionary network in Guatemala.  She's invited me to go with her to the first Saturday prayer meeting of English speaking missionaries here, and I look forward to meeting others God has called to this area.  I think I will learn a lot from Judy, not only about missions but my own spiritual growth.  Thank you, God, for connecting two of your children.


Stopping in Central Park for pictures with the team from Kentucky
Today a small team from Kentucky was visiting the orphanage.  These folks were great with the kids, and we were able to take 6 of them to lunch.  This team was great.  Not in a hurry, willing to take time playing with the kids, letting them go at their own pace.  They seemed to enjoy the lunch together, and even hung out with the kids at the orphanage after we got back.  They were a marvelous team to tag along with.  Thanks for letting me come.

Henry ready to go!



















Elmer, looking cool
Jason, one of Dick's kids, getting into playing with the kids
















I think I've written about the concern on the part of the orphanage staff about the kids getting sick.  Well, keeping them cooped up in a non-ventilated room has not seemed to help much (go figure).  Today, two of the kids very close to my heart are very ill.  Both are very medically fragile, Jojo having hydrocephalus and dwarfism, and Leonel continuing to struggle with malnutrition.  I ask prayers for both of these dear ones.  Leonel, especially, looked very weak to me today, hardly responding when Chris visited him.

Chris visiting Leonel














Dick holding Jojo




















Spent the night at home.  It's amazing to me how much time I spend on the computer, either blogging, answering emails, making activities for the kids, or researching how to help them better.  I was just about to call it a night when Mari came in saying she had a craving for a carmel sundae from McDonalds.  Would I go with her since it was almost 9 at night.  Never one to turn down ice cream, I agreed, and paid my very first visit to McDonalds in Antigua.  While the menu and the prices are the same, the environment is very different.  There are beautiful gardens in which to eat, study or just relax.  This McDonalds also had a McCafe, a coffee shop designed to attract adults, with a variety of coffee options and pastries.  I just might have to go back there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment