Food Distributions, Retahuleu (August 9 & 10, 2010)

August 9, 2010


We began our day in Retahuleu at the site of the team’s first house build. This house would be built for a single woman who was caring for her mother, as well as her son and daughter. After unloading the equipment, half of us left to distribute food packages to the poorest of the poor in this area.


This part of Guatemala had been particularly hard hit by tropical storm Agatha. As I visited these homes, I recalled the words of my friend Steve Osborn, who has an orphanage near Antigua. Shortly after the storm he wrote, “For those of us who are rich, this storm will be an inconvenience for a few days. For the poor, it will take years for them to recover.” Today I experienced first-hand the accuracy of his observation.
Our first stop was walking distance from where the house was being built. We followed one of the neighbors to his home, and heard his amazing story. About a year ago he lost his leg in a heavy equipment accident. He shared with us how hopeless he had been until he went to “rehab.” There he met a man who had lost both legs, who still had a great desire to live a full life. He thought, “If he can do it with no legs, I can surely do it with one!” This decision changed his whole attitude toward his recovery. Now he is an active part of his community—he was one of the men who helped cut down the trees where the new house was being built. He also works cutting down the tall grass with a machete, and guides his blind son and he works beside him. This man will forever be a reminder to me that it is not our circumstance that determines our joy and effectiveness, it is what we decide to do with the life situation we’ve been given. I have seldom met such a friendly and outgoing man in Guatemala, or anywhere else for that matter.


There are many more stories which could be told of the families we visited today. The theme that ran through them was continually a sense of gratitude for what they had, rather than despairing at what they did not have. A sub-plot of today was the enormous generosity of these people who have so little themselves.
One young lady of 22 had been diagnosed with leukemia last March. She seems to be in remission right now, but her medicine each month costs almost as much as her father earns. How, we asked, did they manage to buy her medication? Mother replied, as if it were the most natural thing in the world, that the neighbors all help them out financially with whatever they can give. I couldn’t help but think of the story of the widow who gave all she had. These neighbors who are helping out this family themselves live in houses made of plastic, cornstalks, and corrugated metal, if they are lucky. These generous people who have so little continue to share what they do have with those in greater need. I hope I don’t offend anyone, but I can’t help but think of us North Americans who worry more about our retirement nest eggs than we do our suffering brothers living alongside us today. I’m not suggesting we should be indifferent to our own futures, but I can’t help feeling a bit convicted at my preoccupation with what will become of me in the future, as I ignore the needs of those living with me in the present.


We visited family after family where the story was the same—tremendous hardship, but no sense of bitterness. At each house we shared that the food we brought was not really from us, but from the God who loves and cares for them. Each person received this news with a sense of gratitude and assurance. I didn’t sense at any house we visited, the attitude of “why then does God let my life be so hard?” It seems my Guatemalan brothers and sisters have a willingness to let God be God that surpasses my own. Meeting these people, who often literally don’t know where their next meal is coming from, has once again reminded me of how much I trust in my own plans and provisions, and only go to God as a “last resort.” While I now live as a faith-based missionary, relying on God to move my brothers and sisters to provide for me, I also realize I seem always to have a “contingency plan” rather than a ruthless trust in the One who has always provided for me. Tonight I go to bed humbled and repentant as I consider what I have learned from those I have met today.

 
Tuesday, August 10, 2010  (Written by Dick)
 
(Since Dick has been "borrowing" my journals so much lately, I thought it was time I returned the favor and give you someone else's perspective to read for a change!)


This morning all of the men in our group except for myself (brave man that he is!) headed out to build our second house in 2 days while I took all of the ladies out to bring food to more needy families. I thought that driving people around in an air conditioned van would be much easier than building a house when it was at least 90 degree outside but I may have been wrong. (No, it wasn't because I was so mean to Dick!~Pat)


Today's first visit took more out of me than any five houses that I have ever built. When we walked in to this house we were met by a tired looking mother and her 4 year old son, Josue David. Most Guatemalan kids are generally quite shy when they see Americans for the first time but Josue David. seemed to have no fear of me. Fact is we instantly became best of friends and within a matter of seconds he was sitting next to me and I was showing him how to take pictures. Soon he had climbed on to my lap and was snapping pictures of everyone in the room. While we visited with him and his mother we learned that Josue David's father no longer lived in the house because he was to sick for his wife to care for him. We were told that he is dying of Aids. We learned that the only bread winner in the family is Josue's 11 year old sister who goes out on the streets and tries to sell food each day. Mom can not work because even though she is still able to get around the house she to has Aids. Despite the sickness of both of his parents and the family's extreme poverty Josue David seemed like such a happy well adjusted little boy. I could not help but think about his future and that of his sister once both of their parents were gone. There may be some hope that their grandparents or other relatives will allow Josue David's sister to live with them but judging by the way that they want nothing to do with their own daughter or her husband since they have Aids it is doubtful that they will want their 4 year old grandson because he is also HIV positive.If you read my journals on a regular bases you know that my requests for money are few and far between but Josue David needs $15 worth of medicine per month. His 11 year old sister barely earns enough to keep the family from starving to death. About $35 per month would go a long way in keeping these children alive.

(Dick has found a sponsor for Josue David, but there are dozens more like him who are dying for lack of adequate care.  If you're interested in sponsoring a child such as Josue, or would like to make a contribution to the Bethel Ministries medical fund so they can continue to provide care for children and adults desperately in need of medical treatment, email me and I'll get you the information.~Pat)

There were other needs that we came across today. We saw another little boy who is 8 months old who has been so sick for the past 15 days that the only thing that he has been able to eat or drink is water. Mom had not been able to get him any help because the family could not come up with 100Q ($12.50) to see a doctor. I thought it over and figured that this child's life was possibly worth the price of a couple of lattes in the States and arranged for him to see a doctor tomorrow.

(As we were praying for this little boy, the following Scripture came to my mind:

20Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (Eph. 3:19-21)

To be sure, I was focusing on the fact that God could do more than we could ask or imagine, and here I was, praying for a boy who was possibly dying for lack of medical care.  "How, God," I asked silently, "are you doing anything for this family? I'm sure You're not doing more than they could imagine!"  I immediately realized that He was when I felt Him respond, "I have.  They are alive, and I've brought you to them."  I guess a bunch of gringos coming unannounced bringing food, prayer and money for medical care really was more than these simple people could ask or imagine. And, as I wrote this, I just realized that He says He will do this through His power in US.  If God is not doing more than those in need can ask or imagine, perhaps it is because we are not giving freedom to His power to work in and through us.  I stand convicted. ~~Pat)









































We visited about 8 or 9 homes today. Some of the people that we visited were young and others were old but each of them had a similar story. I know that we can not help all of them but when I see how richly God has blessed most of us I can not help but wonder if God can look at us and say,

"Well done good and faithful servant."
Goodnight,
Yours in Christ: Dick
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This 20 year old is the monther of two children and lives 
so close to the bank of a river that her house often floods when it rains.
I could not help but think of my daughter Mikayla when I visited here.
~Pat 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment