A Fresh Look at the 23rd Psalm

Shortly after I arrived in Guatemala, I read the blog of a friend of mine who is a missionary in Kenya.  In it, Deb shared her re-writing of the 23rd Psalm to address her setting in Kenya, beginning with, "The Lord is my warrior. . ."  She challenged those reading her blog to re-write the Psalm to fit their particular setting.
For weeks I pondered what this would be in Guatemala.  One Sunday, in the middle of worship, I realized that as I had prepared to make this move, God had been revealing Himself to me more completely as a Bridegroom--this was to be my way of approaching God through this Psalm.

For a number of days I resisted.  It just didn't feel right to think of Jesus so intimately.  Then, one morning while I was trying to ignore this prompting, I receive a devotional update from John Eldridge's Ransomed Heart Ministries.  In this passage, Eldridge recounts the images God uses in drawing us into an increasingly intimate relationship with him: Potter and clay; Shepherd and sheep; Master and servant; Father and child; Friend, and finally Bridegroom and bride. (cf. The Journey of Desire Journal & Guidebook, p. 150)

After procrastinating a few more days, I finally took up pen and paper and attempted to approach God directly, as He is revealing Himself to me currently.  Yesterday I shared this with a friend who is "discipling" me long distance, and she asked where she could find this in my blog.  I'm trusting her judgment that this is worth sharing.

Psalm 23—The Bridegroom

The Lord is my bridegroom, I will never be alone.

He provides all I need,
He gives me a safe place to rest.
He renews me each day, through His presence, His people and His word.
He whispers His love to me daily.

He invites me to work alongside Him in renewing this place.
My desire is to glorify His name in all I do.

Even when it seems like I’m getting no where,
I have no need to be discouraged.
You are with me,
         Guiding me,
         Protecting me,
         Comforting me.
         Encouraging me.
         Loving me.
You lead me to greater intimacy with You each day, in each moment, in each encounter.

In You, I find more joy and peace than I had ever hoped for.
Even in the midst of challenges and difficulties, You tell me I am yours.

You give me a purpose and “mission.”
You call me to do what You have planned uniquely for me.
Nothing delights me more than the awareness of your call on my life.

I know that my future holds promise, for Your heart toward me is good.
I will love you, follow you, serve you and rest in you, all the days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment