Lazy Afternoon (Aug. 27, 2010)


I worked at home this morning because Xiomara, the volunteer coordinator told me the other day that there would be 92 people visiting Hermano Pedro today.  That's too many for me; I go on overload.  So I spent the morning researching ideas for the kids, and putting together activities.  The kids will be excited to have a whole bunch of new stuff to do next week.

Spent the afternoon just "relaxing" at the orphanage.  When I got there all the kids were in bed, so I snuck into the room housing the littler kids.  I've not spent much time with these guys lately, since the older ones want to do work the minute they see me.  So today, I would concentrate on this half of the unit.  Leonel still looks very weak and now has an IV running.  Am really concerned about him.  Jojo, though, looked a bit better today.

I haven't seen much of Julian lately and yesterday a therapist with the team gave me some suggestions on things to do to help him focus.  So, I went to his bed and worked with him for a while.  When I put up the side to go and ask Dick something, Julian began SCREAMING at the top of his lungs.  I've never seen him cry before.  So, instead of doing any exercises, we rocked for about an hour.  He was so calm during this time, and I enjoyed the cuddling, too.  He's a neat kid, very bright, with no communication.  Makes very little direct eye contact, but LOVES his back rubbed.  Today I was working with his legs quite a bit, trying to get some resistance when I pressed against his foot.  It's hard for me to tell if he has any muscle strength in his legs, because he doesn't like this and keeps bending his knees.  I'd love to see him be able to use a walker.
Anyway, after an hour of rocking, he willingly went back to bed, and I moved on to the Malnutrition Unit.



I've not spent much time here.  I've almost been avoiding it, and am still not sure why.  Part of the reason is I guess I've been concerned that I would lose my focus from my main work.  Today, I not only lost my focus, but lost my heart once again.  Gidy is a beautiful, smart, mobile, verbal five year old, who is back in the hospital because of malnutrition.  She looks perfectly healthy to Dick and me, but one of the therapists explained that much of her size is just swelling.  She is a darling.

When I walked in she immediately rushed up to me, hugged me and gave me a kiss.  Yesterday I'd told her I'd be back, and this is one young lady who will hold me to my promises.  We played outside with toys for a bit, and then she just wanted to cuddle.  She was enthralled when Dick took out his camera, so I went and got mine and she took some pictures to show you all what the porch area of malnutrition looks like.  She really did a good job for never having used a camera before.

















All too soon it was time to leave, and she didn't cry, just told me I couldn't go.  Not in a demanding way, but with a firm "No!" each time I explained I needed to leave.  I promised to come back, either tomorrow or Monday.  After extracting a promise from me that I'd come to see her tomorrow, she finally agreed to let me go, after filling my face with more kisses.  I don't know much of her story, but expect I will be spending quite a bit of time being loved by this little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment