I Lost My Heart (Again) (August 18, 2010)


I visited a children’s home in Xela for the first time. I’ve heard Dick talk about it for years, and now that I’ve been there I understand why it’s one of his favorite places. As soon as we arrived, the nuns came and greeted us. The Mother Superior came and greeted Dick, and spent quite a bit of time talking with me about their home. We then met the head therapist, Ana Lilian. Theses folks are the reason why this is such a special place for kids and young adults with disabilities.

Dick & Jose today
Dick tells me that ten years ago, when he went to this home the first time, he wasn’t sure that he’d ever go back, it was so horrible. Most of the kids had their hands tied, some behind their backs. Dick told me how he cut the restraints off José and took them with him, he was so angry at what he saw.

But Dick did return, and each time it seemed it this place was a little bit better, due in large part to the attitude of the Mother Superior, Father Superior, and Ana Lilian. Now it seems to be one of the best places for special needs kids in Guatemala. It’s the first home I’ve visited here in which, when I was describing communication systems, Mother told me they already had some children using them! This is the first place where they haven’t looked at me like I was crazy when I talked about teaching kids to communicate with pictures. They are already doing it! I even saw a schedule for speech therapy on the wall—again this is the first “institution” where I’ve heard of this being done with disabled children. Mother immediately invited me to come and work with them any time I wanted to! I will probably take them up on this, since I think I could learn a lot from these people.

Our goal in coming here today was to assess the need regarding wheelchairs in preparation for a team that will be coming with Bethel in October. As Dick measured 15 kids for new chairs, and noted many more in need of repair, I played secretary and did the documentation on my computer, with the “help” of Javier. Using the computer, Javier told me he was 14 years old, and asked to come to visit my “casa” (house). What a heart-breaker. He obviously uses a computer in school, as he even knew how to access the games on this computer, which is something I haven’t figured out yet! Next time I come I want to visit their classrooms. Since we had to return to Chimal and Antigua tonight, I wasn’t able to see the school in session, as they only meet in the afternoon. I can’t imagine it’s anything less than stellar, given the rest of the program in this home.


















Each staff member is responsible for caring for the same kids every time they work, and the kids become “their” responsibility. For each kid who needed a new chair or repair, there was a care giver standing right there, telling us what they thought would be best for the child. The whole time we were there, I’m not sure I ever saw a caregiver sit down; they were always actively engaged with the kids. It was a wonderful sight to see, and I would be proud to have any of them work with me in a classroom.



I absolutely fell head-over-heels in love with two little girls with Downs Syndrome. Elena is two, and Yolanda is three, and they are the sweetest, most affectionate little ones I’ve ever met. Neither of them walk yet, but Ana thinks they both will. They’ve been at the home less than 6 months, so have not received wheelchairs, and are in strollers most of the day. While this is expedient, a wheelchair will provide proper support and increase the likelihood that they will be able to walk, as their muscles will develop properly. It was such fun to watch Dick measure these darlings for chairs. I really wanted to bring them home, but felt a little better knowing that they each have families who love them but are unable to care for them at home.











Yolanda


























On the ride home I couldn’t help but reflect on the difference between this home and Hermano Pedro. There is so much work to do there. Change happens so slowly. I need to keep fighting the good fight, because our kids are worth it. There is so much I want to see happen to improve the quality of the care the kids here receive.




I think tonight I need to go to sleep with the Serenity Prayer on my lips:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things that I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment