A Better Day (August 21, 2010)


Today was better!  Think I just needed a break.  Sometimes I get so caught up in the day to day difficulties that I forget to have fun.

So today I had fun.  I went to the city shopping with three of the students living in the house.  I always love it when the students want to hang out with me, because I've got to be at least 20 years older than the oldest of them.  Usually find myself being called "Mama," and even "Mamasita" sometimes.  (Today I learned that Mamasita has the connotation of a woman who is "hot!") 

Phil had a long list of the things he's been wanting for a while and can't find here in Antigua.  Things like roach motels and plug in air fresheners. . .he has one more month here and I think some of the novelties of Guatemala have worn off a bit!  After the recent break in, too, we've decided we all want some pepper spray, and he's heard you can get it in the city, too.

So shortly after breakfast, we jumped on (literally, since they hardly stop to pick you up) a camioneta (chicken bus) and headed for Guate. Chicken buses are what happens to old school buses from the States when they are deemed too old and/or unsafe to transport students.  They travel through Mexico, get a new coat of paint, and become the inter-city transportation in Guatemala! The ride is approximately one hour, and always reminds me of how much I hate roller coasters.  Today the trip in was pretty calm, and since we got on just outside the bus station, even got seats. 

There are two large shopping centers located in the same place, on opposite sides of the street.  I've been to these before, but for the students, this was their first.  It was fun to watch them as they encountered familiar brands and items that we cannot get in Antigua. It felt a bit like being in the States again.  And I was also reminded of how much I do not enjoy shopping in super-stores, especially on Saturday! And what did I buy after all this effort? A few things to use for activities with the kids in the orphanage, facial cleanser and some really good chocolate.


But the kids all had a good time, each found some treasures (can't remember the last time I saw a thirty year old man excited about finding a spray can of Lysol!) and we didn't get lost, so I count the day a success.

Had a late lunch at Pizza Hut, rode home on a somewhat less tame chicken bus, and took a long nap that just about lasted to morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment