Soccer, Shopping, Sleeping, and Traveling August 14-16, 2010

Note the horse grazing on the field--only in Guatemala!
Saturday morning I took my first "solo" bus ride to Chimaltenango to meet Dick at his boys' soccer game.  I've never appreciated soccer very much, but, when you know a number of the kids playing, and most of the kids watching, it really is pretty interesting.  Today the coach for the opposing team didn´t show up, so "our" coach ran drills with both teams, and then they just played a scrimmage.  A cloud burst stopped things at half-time though. 

After dropping off the boys, Dick, Brian and I headed to the city to look for computers.  I found a really good deal on an HP at the first store we stopped at, and bought it.  I think Dick was a little surprised at how quickly I made up my mind.  This laptop, though, is very similar to the one I used working at the church, so I didn't have to investigate its features too closely.  Also, I hate shopping, and the price was right, so why waste time and gas when I'd probably just come back and buy this one! 

I've grown in appreciation for the efforts of my oldest son, Jeremy, who is my computer go-to guy and has set up my computers in the past.  I'm proud to say that I managed to set up most of what I want on this computer all by myself, even though the operating system is in Spanish.  I'm ashamed to say that I never realized how much time Jer invested in helping out his mom.  Anyway, I´m up and running and blogging again.

Sunday was a pretty quiet day.  Went to church, came home and did more work setting up the computer, and took a nap.  Am learning to appreciate the truth of Jesus' statement that the Sabbath was made for man.  I'm learning the benefits of a Sabbath rest, and liking it.

Monday morning I worked on more things at home, while the security company installed our security system.  Now I live in constant fear that I'll accidently set off the alarm, and the police will come.  I'm not sure that I could explain in Spanish that I'm not a robber, just clumsy.  Anyway, for better or worse, even my bedroom door is now monitored.  Am glad I learned how to use a system when I stayed with Gail, but this one still scares me. 

By noon, Dick and I set off for Chimaltenango to pick up a couple of wheelchairs to take to Xela, about two and a half hours from here.  It poured the whole way to Chimal from Antigua, stopped long enough for us to load the truck, and then poured the entire way to Xela.  Since Dick's car is still in the shop, we were driving the Bethel Ministries pickup, and I learned that my suitcase was not as waterproof as I'd thought it was!

We stayed at the same hotel we were at less than a week ago.  It seems strange when the people working at the hotel recognize you!  Anyway, I hung my clothes to dry, we ate supper (had great chicken curry!) , and I turned in early. 





Dick wanted me to reassure everyone that I am still a "woman of integrity" and took pictures to demonstrate that we each had our own room.  He suggested I also scan the receipts from the hotel, but I thought that was a bit of an overkill.  Still. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment