The Weekend (July 30-August 1)

The weekend started early for me, with a trip to the city (Guatemala City) to look for a new stove for Mari and pick up one of our students at the airport. 

Stove shopping was interesting.  A number of stores only carried electric stoves, which I really don't understand since electricity is so much more expensive here than bottled gas.  We ended up at a familiar store--Sears.  Yes, Sears is in Guatemala.  And we found the perfect stove for the great amount of cooking Mari does. 

When I went to pay for it, though, I learned another lesson about life in Guatemala.  When you are going to put a large purchase on your debit card from the States, it is best to contact the bank ahead of time.  Sears, however, was very gracious, and we called the bank to remove the block.  Unfortunately, I didn't have all my account information with me, so I couldn't have the block removed until I got home!  We tried a number of work arounds, but still had to return to the city Saturday to complete our purchase.  I can't believe I've been in the city 3 times in one week.  The Friday trip home was unbelieveable.  It took an hour and a half just to get OUT of the city (usually about 20 min.).  Guess the weekend started early for more people than just me!

On the way home, we drove through Central Park in Antigua.  Imagine my surprise when I heard a band playing "New York, New York!"  Evidently these gentlemen are in the park every Friday afternoon, playing a "hit parade" of songs they believe the Americans would enjoy.  They really were quite good, if you didn't consider the tempo of each song was about a third of how we would play it in the States.














Friday night I learned another fact about life in Guatemala.  Yes, doctors do make house-calls, to unknown patients at 9 at night, in the middle of a thunderstorm.  The student we picked up at the airport became really ill on the way home, and by night was in a tremendous amount of pain.  All of the doctors Mari knew were in Guatemala City, at a medical conference, but one did give her the name and number of a young woman doctor who lives in the next town.  Though she had never met Mari, she willingly came to care for Phil, and gave him two shots and some other medicine.  She appears to be very competent, as well as gracious, and I'm glad to know her.  I would have no trouble going to her, should the need arise.  Another great contact.  A funny aside:  I do have a little trouble having confidence in a doctor named "Lucky Luna" but apparently Lucky is a common name here in Guatemala!

Saturday was spent going back to Guatemala to complete our purchase.  Mari and I made it a "girls night out" and had supper at Pizza Hut.  Sear, Pizza Hut--am I really in a different country? Sure felt like I was back in the States, expect for the Spanish!


Sunday I went to church and then out to lunch with Dick and seven of his kids from Chimal.  After taking home one who had gotten sick, we headed back to the orphanage and just hung out with the kids.  I got to see Chris Mooney for the first time in a number of weeks when he brought a team in to visit.  This was what Sundays were meant to be--slow paced and relaxing.  I think I'm starting to get the hang of this thing called a "Sabbath rest."

No comments:

Post a Comment