Spontaneity and Flexibility are the Watch Words this Weekend (August 7, 2010)



Today I decided to sleep in, and made it all the way to 8:30! Since Mari was working at the University today, and I’d already slept though the normal time for breakfast, I decided to visit on of my favorite coffee shops this morning.


I think I’ve written before that Fernando’s Kaffe makes the “Krispie Kreme standard” when I comes to cinnamon rolls. Light, fluffy, rich and buttery. In the more than 6 weeks I’d been here, I had yet to enjoy one, so this morning would be the day.




In addition to my roll, I enjoyed a crepe (yes, crepe, not tortilla) filled with eggs, sausage, ham and vegetables.




The atmosphere at Fernando’s is a rich as the food. I ate in their beautiful garden, listening to their waterfall, drinking coffee and journaling. No one was in a hurry to “turn over the table” and this was such a nice break after the intensity of yesterday. I even got to watch a woman weaving on a back strap loom.

I was on my way to La Bodegona (the grocery store) to buy more “minutes” for my cell phone when Dick called. Did I want to go with him to Mazatenango to join a Bethel team which was up there preparing for a wheelchair distribution? He was driving alone, and since he had been having some trouble with his car, he thought maybe it would be better to have someone with who could speak Spanish if he got in trouble.

Since I had clean clothes, why not. This was the team down with Artie, who I’d heard a lot about from Dick, yet never had met. From the stories I’d heard, though, I figured she and I would have a good time ganging up to pick on Dick.

So, by about 3 o’clock, we were once again on the same road we had taken yesterday, only this time with a farther destination of Mazatenango. The car did well (though not perfectly, according to Dick), and we arrived at the Bambu hotel only a little bit later than the team.


















Now all that was left was to get a good night’s sleep in preparation for tomorrow’s wheelchair distribution. This is a lovely place to rest—even if the beds are made from concrete—literally. (Dick had said this, but I thought it was just usual tendency to exaggerate!). My bed had a pretty decent mattress on it, however, and I was asleep in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment