August 22-25, 2010

Esbin, one of Dick's kids, with Estuardo

Spent a lazy Sunday just relaxing.  Good to do once in a while.  Dick wanted a break from the kids, so we had an early dinner together.

Monday I worked with a number of the kids at Hermano Pedro.  It felt good to get back into the swing of it.  Only problem is, I was so into working with the kids, I forgot to take any pictures.  It was another dreary day where the kids weren't allowed outside, and I tried not to get too crabby at the claustrophobia.  I did "borrow" a table from one of the other wards and brought it inside so we had a place to work.

We took Carlitos, Ervin and Bairon to lunch at Camperos.  I've yet to figure out why it's too cold to be in the courtyard at the orphanage, but not too cold to walk 4 blocks to Camperos.  But, since it works out in our favor, I'm not asking any questions.  Once again Carlos came to life the minute we got outside the orphanage, and screeched in delight most of the way to the restaurant.  We had time to play on the equipment today, and, though Carlos is afraid to go on the slide himself, he loves watching the other kids.  Dick tells me Carlos has become "my" kid.  I have to admit he's the one I most enjoy taking to Camperos, because he is so different outside the orphanage.

Tuesday was a short day for me at Hermano Pedro, but I learned a lot.  Today was the first time I brought out crayons, and I was amazed at how well the kids could "draw" once I showed them the correct way to hold the crayon.  Even Bobby, how struggles so much with picking up objects, did a great job "writing" today.  We will do more of it in the future.  Ervin is still trying to figure out which hand he likes to use better, and that was fun to watch.  Carlos was happiest just holding paper!  And Delmi, who had been crying by the wall, had a great time watching the other kids work when I brought her over to join us.



































Tuesday afternoon I went with Andrea and Romy, two of my housemates, to take a cooking lesson at El Frijol Feliz (The Happy Bean).  While I learned to make Pepian (a traditional Guatemalan chicken stew) and Rellenitos (fried plantain stuffed with chocolate and refried beans--it tastes much better than it sounds), what I was most proud of was that I FINALLY made a tortilla someone could actually eat.  Tara and Kelly, you'd be so proud of me! 











Today, Wednesday, I spent the morning playing secretary for Dick as he measured folks at Hermano Pedro for new chairs.  We went into areas of the hospital that I didn't know existed.  A team of therapists from the US is coming in a few weeks to help build chairs and seat kids in the children's homes, and we wanted to have the information ready for them when they get here.















Since each new chair costs Bethel approximately $75, I figure we "spent" close to $1000 in just a few hours  Correction:  Since each regular chair costs Bethel about $70 and the therapeutic chairs many of these folks need run $180, I figure we spent about $5000 in just a few hoursthis morning. (Thanks, Donna, for setting me straight!)  Looking at these pictures of some of the folks in their current chairs, I think it's a good investment.






















I got up into the Malnutrition Ward for the first time since I moved down.  I could easily spend all my time "hiding" up there, just cuddling kids, but still think the kids downstairs need me more.  Hardly even talked to any of "my" kids today!  Tomorrow a small team from Kentucky is coming in, so a number of kids will get to go to lunch.






















After lunch, I got my first haircut in GT, and I'm very pleased.  A friend of Mari's owns a salon in the city, and came to the house today to cut our hair.  I think she did a great job, the price was right (about $12, for a cut and style) and I managed to convince her I really didn't want to dye my hair.  Caleb, the children's minister at Westside, reminded me tonight that I "charge" when I get my hair colored (referring to the donations received from the kids at VBS, and my subsequent "make-over").

It's been a busy couple of days, but good ones.  Now for a little shut-eye, so I can get up and do it all over again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment