Boy, Am I Behind. . .(Oct. 11-15)

I can't hardly believe how long it's been since I've blogged!  My best intentions of journalling every day have kind of fallen by the wayside.  I could say I'm too busy living life to write about it, but taking time to reflect upon what is happening is good for my heart and my soul.  Who was it who said, "The unexamined life is not worth living?"  I wouldn't go quite that far, but processing what I experience seems to make the experience richer, and helps me see where God may be moving in and through my days.

Monday was spent following up on cancelling debit cards, canceling and restarting phone service, and other tasks I needed to do thanks to the bandits who had visited us Sunday. (I think I resent them stealing my time more than my possessions!)  I spent most of the afternoon at Hermano Pedro with the kids.  I had plenty of time to work with the kids, and also visited with Jessica up in malnutrition.  She really is "coming alive" more and more each time I visit her.  I can't wait for her mom to come and see her again!

I spent most of Tuesday trying to get to Chimaltenango to bring back Olga, one of "Dick's kids" to get an ultrasound.  She had been having abdominal pain, and a doctor at the National Hospital had told her she needed extensive surgery.  Katie, an Iglesia del Camino staffer who works with the youth, had arranged for Olga to see a team of nurses and students who were coming in this week, and we wanted an ultrasound for them to review.

Best laid plans in Guatemala often amount to a lot of nothing. . .and today was one of those days.  Today was "Dia de la Raza," Latin America's version of Columbus Day, and the indigenous (Mayan) people were holding demonstrations throughout the country to show just how they felt about the arrival of the Europeans!  While none of these seemed violent, they tied up traffic for HOURS and we could not get into Chimaletenango until late in the afternoon.  (I really shouldn't complain. Dick was traveling and it took him 13 hours to travel what usually is an hour and a half trip!)  We did pick up Olga, but since it was too late to get her ultrasound today, decided to have supper at the mall.  Olga was spending the night with me in Antigua to be ready when the nurses came early Wednesday morning.

The "sleep-over" I had with Olga was one of the best nights I've experienced here in Guatemala.  Mari had prepared a room for Olga, but, when bed time came, this usually independent and self-assured 15 year old asked if she could sleep in my room. . .she said she'd never slept in a room alone before.  So we shared the room, a bag of cheetos and plantain chips, and lots of stories.  It felt a little like being a mom again, and I liked it! (Olga's mother has abandoned her, and both her adoptive parents have died.  She's being raised by her older "brother" along with a bunch of other kids.) 


The nurses were able to give Olga more information about treatment options, and recommended we follow through with the ultrasound.  We went to a private clinic and saw a very kind and informative doctor.  His diagnosis was much different than the doctor from the National Hospital, and he took time to explain to both Olga and me his findings, as well as show us them on the ultrasound.  He did not even recommend surgery at this time, and we will go back to see him in 3 months.  This was one of the best experiences I've had with medical care in Guatemala, and it cost me a whopping 175Q (about $22) for both the doctor's consultation and the ultrasound itself.  Quite a deal, if you ask me.

Thursday I spent doing paperwork.  I know I'd resolved a month ago to take Dick's advise and work on thsi every night, but somehow I just didn't get around to it.  So, I paid the price and sat at the computer all day!

Today, Friday, I went with Mari to the airport in Guatemala City to pick up a friend, Anita, who will be with us for the next week.  This is Anita's 5th trip to Guatemala, and I think she might even be more "hooked" on this place than I am!  The only snag is, she has a husband and two daughters to consider.  She'd been homesick for Guate since returning to Indianapolis last July, and has come to get her "fix."  We spent the afternoon at Hermano Pedro and the kids were excited to see both of us.  It was really nice to have someone to share the afternoon with, and talk about what the kids had done.


Leonel enjoying Anita's attention














Elmer is even starting to work he doesn't like!
























You wouldn't believe how hard this task is for Byron--
or how determined he is to do it!

















This picture of Gloria is for you, Don. 
I hugged her for you today!


While still too little to work, Gengen gets plenty of cuddling, which is good for both of us!
Well, I think that catches me up--at least until tomorrow!  It's the weekend, and I intend to play--probably with the kids at Hermano Pedro!

No comments:

Post a Comment