A Visit to the States--Sept. 19 through Oct. 5


I know it looks like I dropped off the face of the earth. . .and I did if you consider traveling to the States as dropping off the face of my world.  I was amazed at how difficult it was to readjust to life in the US, after acclimating to the pace and rhythm of life in Guatemala.

The main purpose of this trip was to celebrate the first birthday of my grandson, and celebrate we did!  It was incredible how much Nathan had changed in 3 short months.  Fortunately, though, he continued to have his friendly and easy going personality, so didn't mind at all spending time with grandma!  His mom, Lindy, tells me he now is 32 inches long and 22 (24?) pounds.  He seems large compared to Guatemalan kids (the T-shirt I bought was a Guatemalan size 4 and just fit him) and especially huge when I hold one of our kids in malnutrition.



Zachary is still Zach.  After a few wild minutes adjusting to my presence, he settled down and we had some great times, espcially when I could read to him and tuck him in at bedtime.  I didn't realize how much I'd missed doing that simple ritual.  His language continues to grow by leaps and bounds, and he is obsessed with Jurassic Park and dinosaurs.

Zach waiting for me at the front door, as I pulled up!  This made
the whole trip worth it!.

He was having trouble understanding how far away I was living, but after looking at pictures decided I live in a "jungle."  (Not quite accurate, but served the purpose of helping him understand it was a long way away!) One morning shortly after I arrived, he asked his mom if the dinosaurs in the jungle were going to eat grandma!  (Thank you Stephen Speilberg and Michael Crichton)  Now that we have distance somewhat understood, maybe we need to work on time (or fantasy)!  It was good for many laughs.

It was great to spend time with friends both from church and from my teaching days at OPS.  It is incredible how time doesn't seem to matter when we get together, and we pick up right where we left off.  Unfortunately my visiting was cut into by the flu.  I tried to blame the US water, but was told it was more likely the same bug that got Nate, his dad, and my daughter!  I still like the water excuse! 

I was blessed by gifts to the ministry from many individuals and groups, and appreciate the support and encouragement, as well as the diversity of the gifts!  Whether is was crib quilts, special nipples for cleft palate babies, financial support, or toys for the kids and gifts for the nurses, I appreciate the involvement of my friends and family in the ministry here.  It truly is OUR ministry--I just get to have the fun of living it out in person!

I am blessed to have a number of offers for places to stay when I'm in Omaha, and this time enjoyed the hospitality of my good friend Gail.  She will be getting married in April, and it was such fun to get to be part of her wedding planning!  Bo, the guy who was lucky enough to catch her, is a great and godly man, and I enjoyed visiting with him also.



One of my last acts in Omaha was to go to Vala's Pumpkin Patch with the kids.  What a great way to end a trip!  I couldn't believe all the people there, though.  I think there were probably as many folks at Vala's as there are people who live in Antigua.  (Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's close!)  And I even got to eat cotton candy and a funnel cake while we were there.  It doesn't take much to make me happy!


The trip back to Guate was smooth, and on both planes I managed to have a entire seat to myself.  I have to admit coming back this time was a bit harder than leaving the States 3 months ago.  I have a better idea of what I am missing "back home." 

On the other hand, I was more excited than ever to return "back home" to Guatemala, because I had a better idea what I was returning to! And today, a couple days later, I can say with confidence that it is good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment