First Days Back (Oct. 6-9)


It was an incredible experience to walk back in to Hermano Pedro, and hear kids screeching my name!  Though I had told them I'd be gone, but I was coming back, I don't think they really trusted I would be good to my word.  One of the kids, Henry, was really stand-off-ish, until he heard me talking to another child who I was feeding.  When I told Byron that I just "visited" the US, but now I live here in Guatemala, Henry just about jumped out of his wheelchair, yelling, "De veras?" (Really?)  After this, he just about hung on me as a fed some of the other kids.

I'd really wanted to go and see our little Jessica in malnutrition, but just could not pull myself away from the kids downstairs.  They were so excited that I was back.  It gave me a little bit of insight into how much my presence here impacts them!  If I needed any confirmation about coming back, this reception was more than I needed.





Elmer got his face "dunked" in his cake,
in true Guatemalan tradition!

Thursday was Elmer's birthday, and the nurses had a party for him, complete with cake and a pinata.  While I know they did this because he's one of their favorites, it was still good to see them celebrating with the kids.  If only they were this engaged with the kids every day.  They even made sure Carlitos got some of the candy!


















I did get up to see Jessica after the party, and was jubiliant to see that Dick's assessment of her weight gain was accurate.  The nurses reported she'd gained a pound and a half in the time I was gone, and I could see it in her face, as well as her behavior.  She had a REAL smile today, rather than the grimace that had passed for a smile previously. 

While I was gone, Enrique, one of Dick's favorites, had passed away unexpectedly.  This was the second kid in a few weeks who Dick was really close to who had died, and this was totally a surprise.  Dick had said "good-bye" to him before he (Dick) went to Xela for a distribution.  He'd expected Enrique to go home with his family.  Instead, he has gone home to be with his heavenly Father.  Enrique's death has made it difficult for Dick to go up into the malnutrition ward, but he knows there are other children needing attention up there.  Today he spent time with Jose, and I think Jose's hugs are helping him heal.


No comments:

Post a Comment