La Gomera Clinic (Oct. 27)



Monday Dick had gone to Rony's home to take him back to the National Hospital in Esquintla.  Rony, a 16 year old with Muscular Dystrophy, had been admitted to the hospital with pneumonia, and was seriously ill. Tuesday night Dick and I decided to head down to the coast to be nearer to the family and see Rony at the hospital on Wednesday.

The hotel in Santa Lucia where we usually stay was full, so we drove on to one nearer the coast.  This place was beautiful, air conditioned, and practically empty!  After dinner we even had time for a swim, and the night seemed almost like a mini-vacation.  I didn't realize how much a needed a bit of a get-away.  Even as I was enjoying this respite, though, it seemed God was preparing me for what we would face the next day.

Wednesday morning we started out at the clinic in La Gomera.  Dr. Jose, an excellent doctor from Cuba, greeted us like long lost friends.  What he manages to do in this under-equiped clinic continues to amaze me.  I also finally got to meet Sra. Flori de Vasquez, the wife of the mayor of La Gomera, who helps operate the clinic.  She assists Bethel ministries in getting food to some of the families who live in their area.

While we were there, a young man who works in the community of La Terreno approached us to ask for help for a family seriously in need of food.  When we were introduced to this family, I could not believe the level of malnutrition suffered by each of the eight children.  I have never before seen an entire family malnourished, and this family's need was intense. If the community workers not brought them to our attention, however, they would have just faded in to the many others waiting to see the doctor.



The amazing thing to me, though, was how friendly and receptive these kids were.  For the life of me, I can't imagine how they had managed to find the energy to walk the 6 km from their home to the clinic, but they had.  They sure enjoyed taking pictures and seeing them on Dick's camera.



I was also introduced by Flori to a young mom who has two children, ages 1 and 3, who are currently in the National Hospital suffering from malnutrition.  She seemed to be nothing more than a child herself.  So much need. . .I know I can't help every hungry person in Guatemala, but I also feel a strong conviction to try to help those who God puts in my path each day. 






After checking with Sra. Flori about two other families receiving help from Bethel Ministries through the clinic, we reluctantly left so that we could get to Esquintla in time to see Rony. Our new friends followed us to the door to say good-bye as we left.  How I wish I could have promised these families help before we left for Esquintla. All we could do is tell them we would do our best to find them sponsors. After sending out an email appeal, I am happy to be able to say that we have help for these families, and possibly a few more in need of food for the next year.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment