October 29


I spent much of my day today at Hermano Pedro.  We have a new boy, Julio (sorry, no pictures yet) who is pretty amazing.  He can't walk, but can crawl while carrying a tote full of toys.  He also understands everything, has some spontaneous language, and can meaningfully repeat many words, though his articulation is somewhat difficult to understand.  He knows colors, and will repeat number names while counting up to 5 objects.  He's really going to be fun to get to know! I got to feed him today, and he could feed himself with minimal assistance.  I think with a little adaptive feeding equipment, he'll be good to go on his own.  Have ordered some to bring back from the States.

I also was in malnutrition for a longer period today, and played with toys with Jessica.  Once again, she amazed me.  She will follow an object with her eyes as you move it through her field of vision, would cuddle a small stuffed animal as if it was a baby doll, and loved to kick at rattling toys with her foot!  When she would knock the toy out of my hand kicking it, she would just laugh and laugh. 


I also saw Flori, my Faith in Practice friend from Oratorio.  Marcus, the young man we hope to get surgery to correct his cleft palate, had been in to see the doctor who had ordered more tests.  Through the generosity of some friends in Omaha who have made a donation to start a medical fund, he will be able to have these tests and hopefully his surgery.  We have also been able to provide medication which has stopped his seizures. 



Flori proudly displaying a certificate of recognition
which she recently received from Faith in Practice.
After Flori left, I couldn't help but reflect on the many Guatemalan women I've met who are working for the betterment of their people.  These women often don't have much more in the way of financial resources than the people they are trying to help, but use what gifts they do have to serve others. Besides Flori, I think of Dona Mari and Doris in Retalhuleu, Flori at the clinic in LaGomera and her team of volunteers.  They are amazing ladies, who I am honored to work with.  Some, like Doris and Flori are even becoming friends.  They are an incredible blessing to this country and to me personally.

I guess, according to Leslie, a volunteer from England, there is a volunteer teacher coming in to do summer classes with some of the kids.  I have to be honest. . .when she told me that, I wanted to say, "What do you think I've been doing?"  It was even harder to keep my mouth shut when she told me that the hospital had found a place for this lady to hold classes. . .finding room to work has been my biggest challenge.  (In fairness to the hospital, however, I've not asked for space, partly because I was afraid they might tell me to share the classroom with Nineth, and she already has a room full.)  Leslie then proceeded to tell me that perhaps this lady could "teach" me how to work with the kids.  Those of you who know me well can probably picture how red my ears became at this pronouncement.  I'm guessing that I probably have taught a few more years and a few more kids than this gal, but we'll see.  I'm open to new ideas, but have to admit I'm not looking forward to someone coming in as an "expert" treating me like I really don't know what I'm doing.  Dick keeps reminding me that no one here really cares about my credentials, but at times like this it's hard not to want to trot them out. 

As I'm praying through this, I'm asking God for grace to receive this lady warmly. I ask for your prayers, too, in this regard.  I know it's not about me, it's about the kids, but I can't help feeling a bit pushed out of the way.   Really, though, I don't know what I'm worrying about. I feel very comfortable with and accepted by the nurses, and I don't think that will change.  I can't imagine that there won't be enough kids for both of us to work with.  I don't want to succumb to the plague that affects too many missionaries--protecting one's turf.  On the other hand, I do have strong feelings about how the kids should be treated, and this lady was described to me as having taught in the Bronx, so she "doesn't take any crap from the kids."  I pray she has respect and love for the kids, and doesn't just want to whip them into shape.

When I went back and read what I'd just written above about my Guatemalan women friends, this all seems pretty petty.  I decided to leave it in, though, because first, I'd like your prayers for this situation, and secondly, well, those of you who know me know I can be petty at times.  I ask your prayers support in growing my heart. Again, I'm worrying about things over which I have no control.  We'll wait and see how this all plays out. . .and each day I grow a bit stronger in my willingness to stand up for the kids and their needs.  I don't like doing it. . .but I learned that sometimes I'm called to speak for the Lion of Judah, and not just the Lamb!

No comments:

Post a Comment