Lunch with World Racers (Oct. 28)


Today I went to lunch with an amazing group of young people.  Four of them are in wheelchairs and live at Hermano Pedro.  The other five are visiting Guatemala as part of The World Race.  Prior to meeting this folks, I'd never heard of this Christian mission program in which teams serve in 11 countries in 11 months.  This team, Lionheart, has begun their treck here in Guatemala.

I've watched this team at Hermano Pedro over the past few weeks.  They have totally connected with the kids, though some of them shared with me that this was difficult at first.  They obviously, though, put aside their own comfort to love on our kids who need love so much.  Their last day with us is next Tuesday, and they all seem a little sad to leave, even as they anticipate their next stop of service.

A few days ago, one of the team members had mentioned to me that they'd love to take some of the kids on an outing, but didn't know how.  I offered to go to lunch with them and some of the kids, and they jumped at the chance.  I know the kids get excited at going to Camperos, but this time I think the volunteers were more excited than the kids.

A number of things impressed be about this group, even before we left the orphanage.  First, they chose kids to take who are often overlooked by volunteers because they are not particularly outgoing.  I was so pleased they had noticed the "least of these" among the "least of these."  Secondly, they repeatedly thanked me for arranging for the outing, and for taking my time to come with them.  It never occurred to them how grateful I was to them for genuinely caring about our kids.

So, about noon, we loaded up David, Deigo, Nelson and Gloria, and set off.  My first surprise was that, as soon as we were out side, Nelson, who usually is so bland and passive, seemed to come alive and was all smiles!  I've never seen this side of him before, and hearing him actually laugh blessed me beyond measure.  The blessing was doubled when I turned to see how excited the team members were with his reaction, and it seemed EVERYONE was stopping to take pictures of his joy as if he were a celebrity. 

These folks had never really had much experience pushing wheelchairs, and Antigua, with its cobblestone streets and high curbs is a difficult place to learn.  But learn they did, with only a bit of assistance now and then.  We got to Campero's in short order, and after a bit of rearranging, sat down to eat.  Here again, I noticed a unique gifting of this team.  They were not concerned at all about what they would eat, but focused on what each child could eat, how they could eat it, and most of all, that they (the kids) enjoyed their lunch.  I don't think I've ever been with a group at Campero's where I've done so little.  They really knew the kids they had chosen to take to lunch, and were skillful at feeding them.  It was a joy to sit back and watch this team in action.




When the check came, Angela told me they were treating us.  She also told me that they had carefully watched their food budget to be able to have the money to take the kids out to eat.  This really touched me, as this outing meant a lot more to them than just a hour or so of  "do-good-ing."  They really wanted to bless the kids.  And they did, blessing me as well.

If this team is any indication of the quality for the people who are racing around the world with this ministry, they are truly amazing.  While some travel the world in "The Amazing Race" to win money and get a bit of fame for themselves, these young people are traveling the globe to give themselves away.  It was a blessing to meet them and a privilege to work along side them.  Come Tuesday, it will be hard to say good-bye.  I'll miss them, and I know the kids will even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment