Hair weaves in the Park (Oct. 16-17)


This weekend was pretty calm, especially when compared to last week.  Saturday passed very quickly, with me doing housework and paperwork.  Had wanted to get to see the kids at the orphanage, but time just got away.  I continue to be amazed at how much time is required just to take care of the things required in daily life.  I would SOOOOO much rather be with the kids, but I guess I still live in the real world.


Sunday, after church, I ate lunch with Dick and the kids at Camperos.  I continue to be amazed at how willing the kids are to let an old gringa tag along with them.  While we were waiting for Dick to move the car, the kids and I watched a street mime entertaining right outside the restaurant.  While not the most impressive performance I've ever see, it was fun to watch how he engaged the audience.

On the way to Hermano Pedro after lunch, the kids wanted to get woven yarn braided into their hair, so we spent some time in Central park. I was a bit surprised at these macho boys wanting a "hair weave" but they seemed to have fun.  A bonus was that it was a woman from our church to was doing the weaving.

Today I  spent time just holding and playing with the kids.  They love to do "trabajo" (work) but sometimes I feel so busy shuffling activities that I don't feel like I have much meaningful contact with them personally.  Today was good for my soul!

On the way back to the car, the boys dared us (Dick and me) to get "hair weaves" also.  Dick couldn't resist the challenge and decided to get two put in is beard!  Not to be outdone, I did get one in my hair.  If you ask me, Dick looked like he had two worms crawling out of his mouth, but the kids seemed to have fun and that's what counts. 

In all, it was a good weekend that passed way too fast (don't they all?)!

No comments:

Post a Comment