Spending time in Malnutrition Oct. 24


Saturday morning was filled with chores, but I managed to get to Hermano Pedro in time to feed some of the kids lunch.  Most of the kids were outside when I got there, but Audrianna was inside.  I thought maybe she was sick, but when I asked the nurses they said I could take her outside, so I did.  She was so happy today and full of giggles.  She really didn't want to be put down, so I held her while I fed Byron and Henry.  It was a bit of a challenge, but we did it.

Dick was in Santa Lucia this morning (Sunday), so he and the boys weren't at church.  Seemed strange not to see them.  Guess I'm getting used to hanging with the gang on Sundays.

After church today I had a quick lunch in town and went to Hermano Pedro.  I originally planned to working with the kids downstairs, but at lunch realized I haven't spent much time with my two Jessica's in malnutrion, so went upstairs first.  (It's really hard to pull away from the kids downstairs to go see them. . .) 

The atmosphere upstairs in malnutrition is so different than in the children's area.  Downstairs it seems that there is always someone crying or clamoring for attention.  Many of the kids want to work as soon as I walk in, and I hardly get time to just sit and hold any of the kids anymore.  I'm kept pretty busy.

Upstairs, I can sit and hold and focus my attention on one kid at a time.  It's almost like a mini-vacation.  And today I guess that's what I needed.  When I walked into the malnutrition unit, I could hear someone crying as I washed my hands.  I didn't recognize the cry, and was surprised to find that it was Jessica Vanessa lying in her bed just sobbing.  It broke my heart to see her so sad.  Then, one of the nurses came to feed her, explaining to me she was crying because she was hungry. 
She just about inhaled a bottle of formula and a bottle of  "papilla,"  or baby food.  I guess the nurse was right, because as soon as her tummy was full, she was her bright, happy self again.  Then I realized what a good thing it is that she now recognizes hunger, and responds to it as any "normal" child would.  Before coming to Hermano Pedro, though she was starving, she seemed to be used to constant hunger.  Now she knows the difference, and I think that's progress.

Jessica Vanessa was much happier after eating!
I spent a lot of time cuddling her, and she "talked" up a storm.  Her babbling and smiling made my day.  She is so content these days.  And she's so much stronger.  She can support her weight on her legs, and when I was carrying her, I realized that she was supporting her head and back without help.  Her balance is still a bit off, but she is developing so quickly.

I fed the "other" Jessica, and find her very interesting.  She seems to prefer being played with while she lies in her bed to being held.  I don't quite get that, but since she likes it, that's what we did!

I also got to spend some time holding one of the new little ones--he's only a month old and is in the unit because he has a cleft palate.  He is the sweetest little guy, and I was thrilled to cuddle him for a while. 

So, I guess I'm getting "hooked" on these kids as much as the ones downstairs.  All I know is that the afternoon flew by, and I had a great time.

On Sundays there always is someone performing in the park
or on the street.  This is one of the things I love about Antigua.
On the way home I treated myself to an ice cream cone and stopped in the park to watch a local band that performs in the park every Sunday.  I think this is the way the Sabbath was meant to be spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment