Campero's and the Park (Oct. 18)

This is a little out of order, since I wrote it and forgot to post it!  I claim being overtired (rather than age) is the cause. . .



It's been such fun having Anita visit this week--I'm especially enjoying having someone to walk with to Hermano Pedro.  She a great encouragement to keep me walking rather than just hopping a tuk-tuk.

Dick brought in two of the boys, so, with Anita, we were able to take 5 kids to lunch.  It's always amazing to me to see the kids outside the orphanage.  I've never worked much with Beverly, though she almost always reaches out a "calls" to me when I walk by her chair or crib.  Today, she was my lunch partner, and we had a great time.  She totally surprised me when I discovered she could finger feed herself (the nurses had said she needed very tiny bits of food only), and even grabbed a french fry from my plate!  I was speechless when her ice cream came and she could eat it herself with a spoon.  There is so much more to these kids than I realize, and I am thrilled every time they surprise me with their hidden skills.

After lunch we played in the park for a while, and I think they all had a pretty good time.  The fountain is always a favorite stop, and the wetter the kids can get us by splashing us, the better they like it.  Today was a pretty good day for them, and I was grateful that Antigua is warm during the day!

When we got back, the kids who had not gone really wanted to work, so we did.  There are a couple of new volunteers who really are into doing activities with the kids, and though I miss working directly with the kids, enjoy helping them find activities the kids can do.  And there was so much less calling "Patty" today, that I actually got to start taking pictures of activities so I can make a choice board for the kids.  I think this might be progress. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment