El Dia de la Revolucion (Oct. 20)


El Dia de la Revolucion, Oct. 20, commemorates the almost bloodless democratic revolution of 1944 when discontented university and military leaders overthrew the military dictator Jorge Ubico y Castaneda.  Today it is celebrated as a national holiday, with massive protests, mostly by the indigenous Mayan population, who still seek the truth about the desaparecidos (vanished), more than 200.000 victims of the Guatemalan civil war.

Here in Antigua, as with most days of protest, things are pretty quiet.  It is not a day to take to the highways, however, especially now since many of them are still only one lane due to wash-outs and landslides.  I discovered an unexpected benefit of this day, however, when I arrived at the orphanage.  Many Guatemalans had decided to spend at least part of their holiday visiting the kids at Hermano Pedro.

Some, like Henry's aunt and uncle, were family members of the kids, but many were just individuals who wanted to make the day a little be brighter for the kids.  It was pretty amazing to see. 

Jessica

Jessica Vanessa
Since I sometimes get overwhelmed with large numbers of visitors, I spent part of my day up in malnutrition, visiting the two Jessica's.  I continue to be amazed at the strength Jessica Vanessa is developing and her constant movement.  I think she burns at least half the calories she takes in! I can't help but contrast it with our other Jessica, about the same age, who, while gaining weight more rapidly, has little voluntary movement.  It has taken her a long time to warm up to me, but finally, when I come to her bed, I'm rewarded with a smile most days.  Today I got to feed her, and I think I ended up with as much of her food on my clothes and in face (she sneezed and coughed a lot).  Eating is not her favorite activity, to be sure. 

I did spend some time working with the kids after lunch when things were more quiet and they were in their beds.  There are a couple of volunteers here for a few weeks who are really getting into working directly with the kids, and I'm happy to share my "toys" with them.  I spend a bit more time explaining tasks and helping these volunteers, but they multiply the amount of work the kids get to do.  While not as much fun as being right with the kids, I think this is a good investment of my time--though if this keeps up, I'm gonna have to make more tasks pretty soon.  What a great "problem" to have!


Tonight Dick invited me to go to the circus with him and his neighborhood kids who had received good grades.  I wasn't too sure what to expect, since I've never been to a Guatemalan circus and had heard that they were nothing to write home about.  Obviously, since I'm writing about it, it was a good as Dick had promised it would be.  So, 12 kids and two adults watched aerialists, clowns, trained horses, a magician, and even a nine tigers with their trainer and ate chocobananas.  The animals were all healthy and well cared for, and the tiger act was amazing.  I'm not sure I've ever see tigers as big as a couple of these were!  I think this has been one of the most enjoyable things I've done since moving to Guatemala.  Thanks, Dick and kids, for letting me tag along. Thanks, Dick, for the pictures from the circus.

The "good grades" crew

No comments:

Post a Comment